986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Won the Porsche Lottery Today (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/47737-won-porsche-lottery-today.html)

Foydawg 08-13-2013 01:40 PM

Won the Porsche Lottery Today

Pulled into a parking lot, coasted around the corner and with no warning at all the engine died. Put it in neutral, cranked it to hear one second of the most gut wrenching sound in the world.

I change the oil every 5K w/Mobile1 as directed, examine the filters and they've been free of debris but I was due for an oil change. There are no fluid leaks, no noises. It's a 2004 S with about 52,000 on it.

Thanks Porsche.

trimer 08-13-2013 02:01 PM

Damn man...I hope it's nothing real bad...

When are you taking it in? Keep us posted

Chuck W. 08-13-2013 02:10 PM

Ugh... I hate these post. Hang in there and keep us posted.

san rensho 08-13-2013 02:24 PM

Pull the oil filter to check for metal. If there is metal, then drop the sump plate and see if there is any metal debris in there. If there is a lot of metal, well you have problems. If little to no metal, then remove the drive belt and turn the motor over by hand, clockwise only. If there is major damage, you will feel the interference. Don't force anything. I would probably pull the plugs before rotating by hand, it will be much easier to feel interference if there is no compression. If it locks, well you wil have to take the motor apart at that point.

If it rotates easily, I would start by pulling the cam end plugs to check if the cams are still in timing. If its still in timing, pull the cam covers to see if you have a bad valve, look for sheared lifters.

What kind of noise was it making? Was it a deep rapping sound (probably a bearing) or a rat tat tat (probably a valve).

Good luck.

Foydawg 08-13-2013 02:36 PM

I had it towed to a local indie (Stuttgart Specialties in Louisville, KY) as that sort of work is beyond my skill level. There was no sound prior to the stall. I'd describe the horrifying sound emitted during the second or less I cranked it was one of large parts flopping around, not small ones.

thom4782 08-13-2013 02:57 PM

Bummer.....

If the IMS let go, you're within the 10 year "settlement" window with a 04 model. Just make sure you follow the criteria for the repair and filing of the claim.

patssle 08-13-2013 03:04 PM

Check the water pump. Mine went out and it made the most awful sound that I thought was IMS. Not sure if a water pump death can cause an engine to die - but just offering a suggestion.

Perfectlap 08-13-2013 03:30 PM

How many miles did you have the car? Did you do the LNE IMS swap?

Granted many done for engines are wrongly atttributed as IMS fail.

coreseller 08-13-2013 03:34 PM

I will light a votive candle tomorrow for you in hopes it is something other than the IMS. You took it to a good shop, I've heard others in your area speak highly of them.

Coincidentally, got to talking to the cleaning guy at our office tonight before leaving work, he pulled in in a used 2nd generation Miata. Pretty good looking car with 150k on the clock, he said it has run like a top for the couple of months he has owned it, paid $2500 for it.

He then went on to tell me about the incredible deals to be had on used Boxsters, I sat back and let him educate me for a few minutes. Since I had to leave I let it drop and said I'd talk more to about it next week, he's a good guy but I know that a scenario such as this would be completely devastating to his wallet.

Good Luck Foydawg.

Foydawg 08-13-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 357238)
How many miles did you have the car? Did you do the LNE IMS swap?

Granted many done for engines are wrongly attributed as IMS fail.

No preventative swap and it has about 52000 miles on it.

It's my impression oil leaks leading up to an IMS failure and post-failure are typical and I haven't had seen either. Mine is a Tiptronic if that makes a difference in allowing the oil to hit the ground vs. a manual.

patssle has me hoping it's not that serious.

nicecar 08-13-2013 05:26 PM

Lottery

never played the lottery till i bought an 02 s 88k from brumos then did my research, as the brumos mech. said " cosmetically its a beautifull car"! car now has 113 k and i play the lottery all the time... but now jake has me stressing on the lifters oh well i guess alot of people would love
to have my lottery ticket

fullthrottle52 08-13-2013 05:42 PM

Foydawg,
I live in Louisville and have all my work done at Stuttgart. I've been using them for almost 3 years. They will sort it out for you. Hope it is good news for you. I have a 2000 with 68,000 miles and have not had the IMS bearing done. We all hate hearing about these issues. If you need any help let me know.

Foydawg 08-23-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foydawg (Post 357217)
Pulled into a parking lot, coasted around the corner and with no warning at all the engine died. Put it in neutral, cranked it to hear one second of the most gut wrenching sound in the world.

I change the oil every 5K w/Mobile1 as directed, examine the filters and they've been free of debris but I was due for an oil change. There are no fluid leaks, no noises. It's a 2004 S with about 52,000 on it.

Thanks Porsche.

UPDATE: It is an IMS failure and as a non-CPO second owner car, I theoretically would be eligible for 25% coverage under the class action suit BUT, since Porsche says my 2004 Boxster S was "put into service" on 7/4/03, it's over 10-years old and not eligible - EFF Porsche!

TeamOxford 08-23-2013 11:00 AM

Please don't give up so easily. Six weeks outside the "window" is an extremely short time. A personal appeal to the right people at Porsche may result in some concessions.

Determining who the "right people" are will be the challenge. Like people who could not afford bad publicity from a disgruntled owner about their hallowed marque.

If done objectively and with a modicum of class, it just might work............. ;)

TO

dghii 08-23-2013 11:12 AM

Absolutely stinks.

I gotta tell you, I love my 2000S (112K) and have had great 'luck' with the car. It's at a price point that I think I could stomach it if the motor took a crap. I love the look of the 987's and the new 981's but am unwilling to play the lotto with more $$ on the line.

It's funny. We picked up an '04 350Z roadster a month ago for my wife. The car has right at 100K miles and for some reason, it doesn't scare me at all! Time will tell.

mountainman 08-23-2013 12:20 PM

been there, so I know how disappointing it is. Waiting to see if Porsche really does follow thru. I was out 20K for the new engine and am eligible for the 25%. I know what you are going thru trying to decide whether to put in a new engine or shop for a new car.

Perfectlap 08-23-2013 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear that. How many miles did you get out of the car (minus previous owner mile) before it went kaput?
Mind sharing what you paid?

Foydawg 08-23-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 359006)
Sorry to hear that. How many miles did you get out of the car (minus previous owner mile) before it went kaput?
Mind sharing what you paid?

I paid about $24K for it in late 2010. It had 23,000 miles at the time. I've put about 29,000 miles on it.

Foydawg 08-23-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamOxford (Post 358973)
Please don't give up so easily. Six weeks outside the "window" is an extremely short time. A personal appeal to the right people at Porsche may result in some concessions.

Determining who the "right people" are will be the challenge. Like people who could not afford bad publicity from a disgruntled owner about their hallowed marque.

If done objectively and with a modicum of class, it just might work............. ;)

TO

Good advice. I submitted an inquiry with the attorneys that won the class action. My local dealer, Bluegrass Motorsports, simply referred me to 1-800-PORSCHE.

reiver 08-23-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 358977)
Absolutely stinks.

I gotta tell you, I love my 2000S (112K) and have had great 'luck' with the car. It's at a price point that I think I could stomach it if the motor took a crap. I love the look of the 987's and the new 981's but am unwilling to play the lotto with more $$ on the line.

It's funny. We picked up an '04 350Z roadster a month ago for my wife. The car has right at 100K miles and for some reason, it doesn't scare me at all! Time will tell.

I hope it's an 04.5 350Z. The younger ones had tons of problems. I had an 03 and it was the only time I've had a manual tranny or clutch blow....and it happened 4 times due to design flaws on both the clutch and tranny. Problem went away when they upgraded me to 05 tranny and clutch assembly.

I wasn't worried about any sort of Porsche lottery and was blissfully ignorant (having loads of fun driving it) until I started reading this forum after I bought mine on the last day of June. Now I'm paranoid as hell and have never done so much preventative maintenance on top of having AOS go out after 3 weeks of ownership and then a significant leak around the driver side bank. I've gotten real good with the 4 jackstands and still love the car, though...

I should have taken out stock in Pelican parts in hindsight...lol