Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Clean radiators

Finally cleaned between the radiators and condensors. There was alot of dirt, sand, rocks, pebbles, cigarette butts and a big piece of a McDonald's wrapper. What's on the radiators in the photo is just a small amount left that didn't come off with the hose I had to brush and pull it out..glad I did this project.

oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Yeah, it's amazing what all is in there when you clean them out. Makes you feel better afterwards though.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

I just replaced one of my horns the other day, and of course I cleaned the radiators while I was in there. I was amazed at how little crap was in them, considering some of the horror pictures I've seen. Still glad I did it, and I was surprised at how easy it is to remove the bumper cover.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #4

My indy surprised me with a complimentary radiator clean and said that I might notice a little cooler A/C temp.I saw all the junk after 12 years and 65,000 miles.I do want to remove my front bumper sometime.Is it important to have a helper line it up for the re-install?
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #5

When I did mine the amount of crap in there wasn't too bad, overall a pretty easy and fun project that enlightens you on how to get to many things hidden behind that cover. Very worthwhile for the hour or two it takes.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #6

I cleaned my yesterday. 84,000 miles worth of crap in there. Mostly leaves and a few cigarette butts. It only took about a hour and a half.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
My indy surprised me with a complimentary radiator clean and said that I might notice a little cooler A/C temp.I saw all the junk after 12 years and 65,000 miles.I do want to remove my front bumper sometime.Is it important to have a helper line it up for the re-install?
I reinstalled my bumper by myself, not bad at all. A second pair of hands would make it very easy. Just a suggestion after I did mine, there are tabs that the bumper slide into right under the headlights, I had to go back and remove the headlights, put the bumper back into the slots you can't see them without removing the headlights or having the car up on a lift at eye level
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Carnut

I did mine as well, together with the A/C "top off" the A/C works so much better! As they say, ice cold. The compressor stopped making the groaning noise.

I also noticed that the water temps came down quiet a bit.

All in all a very good thing to do and no issues with re assembly.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

Yes we do have to clean out the vacuum cleaners once in a while. Did mine a few months age. Plan to do it every spring now.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #10

Cleaned the radiators a couple days ago. Nasty stuff. Installed grills in the intakes to prevent more stuff getting to the radiators again.