Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
Yeah I noticed that as well. I wasn't sure if it was a mod or not. The code sheet said it came with litronics but suppose those are two different things. Still learning.

It also has a modified exhaust so someone down the line must have been into the culture of it. Probably the guy who made the note on the maintenance book that he kept all receipts.

Lower Alabama. What about you?
Jacksonville!

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
No, we just like pictures great looking car! Looks like you a have painted center console, very nice! Definitely need to paint your calipers. It's pretty easy, I just did mine and it makes a big difference! Enjoy
Hmm. What color? Planning on buying the "101 projects for you boxster" soon. Any other literature recommendations?
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
Hmm. What color? Planning on buying the "101 projects for you boxster" soon. Any other literature recommendations?
I painted them the original red

Check Pedro's site for lots of great DIY
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #24

Think I'm gonna clean it this week. Any suggestions one what cleaning agents I should buy (and where)?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #25

Garage
Lots of opinions, here is some stuff to get you started:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43169-proper-way-wash-porsche.html
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/47080-claybar-exterior-detail.html
Car Washing - Griot's Garage
poorboysworld.com
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

A search of the forum will get you even more. I would recommend a wash, gentle hose, two bucket system, clay, then wax. You can also use a sealant. Again, there are lots of different techniques.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #26

Quote:
I painted them the original red

Check Pedro's site for lots of great DIY
Your calibers look nice. What paint did you use? I've been thinking of using the POR15 with a top coat of their red engine enamel.
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #27

Garage
Thanks! I used VHT caliper paint and clear coat. The Porsche decals came from eBay.

VHT SP731 Real Red Brake Caliper Paint Can - 11 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive
Amazon.com: VHT SP730 Gloss Clear Brake Caliper Paint Can - 11 oz.: Automotive
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #28

So I wash, rinse, claybar, then wax? I've never spent so much time (or been so enthusiastic) about cleaning something.

I was gonna spring for one of those kits, but don't wanna get ripped off or buy the wrong thing. Also think I might as well go for an interior clearer/treatment.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #29

Garage
You can get the Mothers Clay Bar kit at any auto parts store or Walmart. Just get some decent car wash solution, don't use dish washing liquid. Pick a wax you like. None of this has to be expensive. Main thing is to keep your wash mit clean. Same with the clay, if you drop it, don't use it! Like I said earlier, there are lots of options and opinions out there, use the one you like best.

Take a look at this wax, it is for blue vehicles. I use it and it works well. Any carnauba wax will do though. Don't use circular motions though with the dark paint.

http://poorboysworld.com/natty-blue.htm
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights

Last edited by BruceH; 08-06-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #30
jakesbox

Quote:
You can get the Mothers Clay Bar kit at any auto parts store or Walmart. Just get some decent car wash solution, don't use dish washing liquid. Pick a wax you like. None of this has to be expensive. Main thing is to keep your wash mit clean. Same with the clay, if you drop it, don't use it! Like I said earlier, there are lots of options and opinions out there, use the one you like best.
I use a clay bar on all my cars one time year. Wash, dry thoroughly with a sheep skin shami, then use mcguiers cleaning spray. spray that on in small spots then clay bar and wipe with a microfiber towel and then a second more dry microfiber towel then move on to next spot. Keep folding the clay bar over itself to make it have a clean surface as you go. then wax! those clay bars are fantastic. you wont believe the crap that will come off your car.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #31

Garage
This is what I use to dry. It was recommended by someone on here. It works great and is machine washable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AY69V/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights