Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #1

Keys

So, I bought my 986 and the keys are not working. The doors or frunks will not open. I see an LED light blinking although they do seem to be a bit faint...

I have not tried to replace batteries, but rather than dealing with the dealer, I am willing to try out some things. Aside from batteries, any things to try? Potential issues that might be causing this?

dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #2

I assume that they were not working when you purchased the car...... I would start with a battery replacement (no need to go to a dealership). If they are still not working, I would guess that you have replacement keys that were purchased off the internet and not programmed for the car. Oh and by the way, if your car is a pre:2001 model, the keys will not open the frunk, only the back trunk. In any event, since it seems the keys do not operate any of the electric locks, if not the battery it is likely the keys. Sadly, buying new keys from Porsche will be expensive and this is one of the reasons that Mike Focke and various others advise that when buying a used Boxster, it is important to have both sets of keys and to ensure that they are functional.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 08-01-2013 at 05:42 AM.
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #3

It is interesting because one of the keys was working fully and then stopped working...Also, these do not look like replacement keys as they look pretty old... I'll start with the batteries... Which ones do I need to get?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #4

If the car sits for enough time (7 days I think?) Some of the remote functionality turns off to save battery. To restore it, use the key to manually open the car door (and maybe crank too). Sounds like you have done that already but if not something to try.

The battery in the key is very easy to change, you can just gently open the key with your fingers by using your fingernails to pry it open.

I changed my batteries when I got mine, and they both worked (and the red light was flashing in the key even before I changed the battery)

Right now one key works and the other doesn't for me; I think I wore out the battery on the key I use the most.

Good luck!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
It is interesting because one of the keys was working fully and then stopped working...
Exactly the same thing happened to me the other day. And the red light was still flashing strong. I switched to my backup key, and will pick up a battery next time I get to Lowe's (I think that is where I got it)

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post

I changed my batteries when I got mine, and they both worked (and the red light was flashing in the key even before I changed the battery)

Steve
That's comforting. Will try and let you all know.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #7

CR 203 right?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #8

Question, if the battery completely dies or gets removed, doesn't the key get "de programmed" or is their a unique identifier to each key which gets saved to the ECU?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

No, the key does not get de-programmed.

Brad
Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If the car sits for enough time (7 days I think?) Some of the remote functionality turns off to save battery. To restore it, use the key to manually open the car door (and maybe crank too). Sounds like you have done that already but if not something to try.
Is THAT why my Box wouldnt react with my key-button at the airport after I was gone 8 days... THANK YOU

Now back on topic (sorry)
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #11

so apparently the dealer is going to order me a new key... that's right mother****************er!!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

At his cost I assume......

Brad
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
At his cost I assume......

Brad
yep hence the alright mother****************er!!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
pk2

The battery can be pain but usualy charging it or replacing ti will solve all.

The key is dum as dirt. I'ts got a battery an a a "pill" that signals your immobiliser every thing is a'ok rhotught at thing aorund the key hole.If your key got a good batter and the cars charged up you should have no problem

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 08-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote