Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #1

Help! About to be a 1st time owner which car to buy

This is probably one of the most common topics on this board I am guessing. But its places like this where newbies to Boxster's come for advice so here I am.

I have done a lot of homework on the cars and am budgeted looking at 2001-2002 S.

I have it down to two. One is a black on black 2001 S with 37K miles which I negotiated down to $17K. That car is very close by to me. The other is a 2001 silver on black with 70K miles on it which I am guessing I can get for between $13K-14K. It is out of state.

Two major concerns but open for others which I hadn't though about.

Of course I read about the IMS failures. The higher mileage silver 2001 S has dual row bearings which really lowers the chance of IMS. Made in Finland late 2000. Owner confirmed by engine serial number and I will have Porsche dealer who does PPI do same.

Other concern is low mileage on other S. I have read that its not really a good thing on these cars. Is that really true?

Both cars history is similar 3 owners, close one has maint records, other maint was done by owner and his Porsche mechanic friend so no records.

Anyway will get PPI on whichever I decide but would like to hear thoughts from members with more knowledge than I, which is probably everyone else on here!

Thank.

conzboneeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #2

$17,000 seems high. I'd go for the $13-14,000 one, if it's an "S."
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Manual or automatic?
peterek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

37K is not really low mileage, which is not a bad thing. It's still a good point to get in and not expect some big repairs.
I would budget a single row bearing replacement, maybe you can do the cheaper Pelican now and revisit the IMS Solution later when the clutch comes out. I like the idea of a South Carolina car, no harsh weather. Hopefully it was driven at least once a week.

Mileage above or near 70K miles in my book needs some service records and what has been repaired. If that list is a short one, that's not a good thing. The basic rule is to budget $1,500 a year in maintenance whether you spend it or not. Case in point, I had a very long list of break downs that kicked in right at that mileage. Nearly $10K for everything from shocks, clutch/ims, AOS, coolant tank, starter, alternator, MAF, cats.
I would pay a little more for lower mileage, especially on a garage kept car that was driven frequently but not daily.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

Unhappy

Both are 6 speed manual. I mean whats the point of having a Porsche with a automatic? I was thinking doing the LN Guardian right off the bat. When I need clutch do the full LN kit. Unless I see signs before then......

Last edited by conzboneeus; 07-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #6

Bump. Anyone else help?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #7

I'll disagree with Joe - 17k for an S in excellent condition with 37k miles is a great price.

You just have to ask yourself - can you have peace of mind with a 10% failure rate on the IMS? If not, factor in a couple more grand for the IMS upgrade on the single row. Then compare costs.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
I'll disagree with Joe - 17k for an S in excellent condition with 37k miles is a great price.

You just have to ask yourself - can you have peace of mind with a 10% failure rate on the IMS? If not, factor in a couple more grand for the IMS upgrade on the single row. Then compare costs.
He's talking about a 2001 S for that price. I bought a 2003 S last winter with tons of new parts (new: Carrera 18" wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, ROW MO30 suspension, clutch and flywheel, brake rotors and pads, yadda yadda yadda) for $14,750!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #9

I'm in IL and also looking for boxster S but with tiptronic for below 17-16k and to be honest it is really hard to find one that has less than 70k miles and newer than 2001,

They either old or have 6 owners or were were bought on auctions and sold by shady dealers

I guess you can always get lucky and find a perfect one for great price but it can take few weeks of feew months...
peterek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #10

Garage
Just sold my 02 S with 14,800 on the clock for 21K. It's a sweet car and I am going to miss her. I will start my search now for my next ride. 17K is a pretty good price for a low mile 01 IMHO.
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #11

Thanks for the input so far guys. The one I am looking at, the current owner is #2. I have looked at S pricing and haven't seen any with under 50K miles for less than 18-19K asking. That's 2000-2004. Well maybe a few with 10 owners or no service records or something that's not looking/feeling right.

I go look at the car Friday morning and will take some pics. Anything I can check for to make sure its good enough to spend the $$ on a PPI? I am guessing it is but just don't want to drop $300-$400 on a PPI and oil change (to check filter for metal) if there is something I could have found that would have told me to walk.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
He's talking about a 2001 S for that price. I bought a 2003 S last winter with tons of new parts (new: Carrera 18" wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, ROW MO30 suspension, clutch and flywheel, brake rotors and pads, yadda yadda yadda) for $14,750!
You got a steal. I did a ton of market research when I bought mine 5 months ago and nothing was even close to what you got. The owner could have gotten 18k or 19k easily for that car.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
recycledsixtie

Garage
The way I see it is a game of patience on both the part of the buyer and the seller.
In this part of the world I am seeing some Cayman and Boxsters sitting for a long time before they sell. Probably because the Boxster is a seasonal car for many here.

If you are a desperate for a Boxster you can end up paying too much. Wait for one that has the right options for you, try different ones and get a PPI done on one that you like. I prefer lower mileage as the components have less wear on them . The S model is better for resale if you get one.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by conzboneeus View Post
Thanks for the input so far guys. The one I am looking at, the current owner is #2. I have looked at S pricing and haven't seen any with under 50K miles for less than 18-19K asking. That's 2000-2004. Well maybe a few with 10 owners or no service records or something that's not looking/feeling right.

I go look at the car Friday morning and will take some pics. Anything I can check for to make sure its good enough to spend the $$ on a PPI? I am guessing it is but just don't want to drop $300-$400 on a PPI and oil change (to check filter for metal) if there is something I could have found that would have told me to walk.

Thanks!
That is a good point to have oil change/check filter with a PPI. If metal was discovered by doing this that would have been the best investment in your life!Then you could walk...
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #15

Garage
First, you have to decide which color and options are important to you. Then, be patient. There are lots of Boxsters out there. Asking prices are a starting point. I bought my 2001 S with 64K last year for $13,750 but the asking price was over $18K. Personally, I like the lower mileage option if it has been garaged and maintained, plus I am partial to the darker covers. Properly cared for, the darker paint is just stunning. $17K is not bad but there might be more room for negotiations, you will never know unless you ask.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #16

70K could be seen as nearing a maintenance wave. The question is has any of that maintenance been done. If so, you can view the "mileage" as a plus, i.e. someone else paid for the maintenance wave that will happen. If not, then the lower mileage one may buy you some time before the wave....unless the IMS blows up first that is....
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #17

Good stuff thanks!

As for waiting I think that's smart. I have found a few other vehicles similar in mileage with more options. Thing is they are not nearby.

Has anyone had any experience with AIM Inspection Services to check a used car that is in another state?
Old 08-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #18

I just talked to a guy about his 2000 S. From what I see not a major difference between 2000 and 2001-2002.

This one has Litronics, power seats, a special order blue paint job which is sweet, and a complete roll bar same color as car. The interior is tan and the instrument gauges have the same tan background as interior, instead of white.

Second owner, all maintenance records, stamps, and he even has the original window sticker. Sent it all to me in an email along with spreadsheet of all maint done.

This is a pretty car.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #19

Quote:
I just talked to a guy about his 2000 S. From what I see not a major difference between 2000 and 2001-2002.
Except for the IMS.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #20

IMS is more likely in 2000 than 2001-2002? I missed that in my research. Or other way around?