View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
conzboneeus

Help! About to be a 1st time owner which car to buy

This is probably one of the most common topics on this board I am guessing. But its places like this where newbies to Boxster's come for advice so here I am.

I have done a lot of homework on the cars and am budgeted looking at 2001-2002 S.

I have it down to two. One is a black on black 2001 S with 37K miles which I negotiated down to $17K. That car is very close by to me. The other is a 2001 silver on black with 70K miles on it which I am guessing I can get for between $13K-14K. It is out of state.

Two major concerns but open for others which I hadn't though about.

Of course I read about the IMS failures. The higher mileage silver 2001 S has dual row bearings which really lowers the chance of IMS. Made in Finland late 2000. Owner confirmed by engine serial number and I will have Porsche dealer who does PPI do same.

Other concern is low mileage on other S. I have read that its not really a good thing on these cars. Is that really true?

Both cars history is similar 3 owners, close one has maint records, other maint was done by owner and his Porsche mechanic friend so no records.

Anyway will get PPI on whichever I decide but would like to hear thoughts from members with more knowledge than I, which is probably everyone else on here!

Thank.
conzboneeus is offline   Reply With Quote