Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
jakesbox

Exhaust

Picked up my Box today. Guy takes me in his garage and says I have a surprise. Pulls the sheet off a very nice condition GHL exhaust and says - here you can have this with the car at no extra cost (well of course it only fits the boxster so what else was he going to do with it!!!). But it was a surprise I did not know he had.

Does anyone know anything about the GHL exhaust? I loved my last fabspeed and was planning on doing that again. I may be willing to part with this exhaust if anyone has an interest.

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
jakesbox

PS - I also have the old tailights as he updated these and the old Shifter mechanism as he upgraded to the short throw shift kit. There are some other parts as well...original sidemarkers, etc. I need to go through all of it, but if anyone is looking for this kind of stuff let me know.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

I've been in a car with the GHL exhaust, and it droned HORRIBLY between 2500-3000 RPM. Sounded great above that....
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

My muffler is GHL and yes it does have a good amount of drone around 2300-3000. My mom hates it. I love it - the rest of it sounds great.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

Garage
Just about all aftermarket mufflers drone from 2,000-3,000rpm. However, a friend once put it that if you're in the drone zone, you're at too low a rpm, so it's kind of an inadvertently useful warning tone. I try to keep my rpms above or around 3k anyways; some people in the Porsche community say cruising around at 2,000 is lugging around and even downright engine abuse. The only purportedly aftermarket mufflers that don't suffer are the Dansk & Fabspeed exhausts.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #6

Garage
I love drone.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Picked up my Box today. Guy takes me in his garage and says I have a surprise. Pulls the sheet off a very nice condition GHL exhaust and says - here you can have this with the car at no extra cost (well of course it only fits the boxster so what else was he going to do with it!!!). But it was a surprise I did not know he had.

Does anyone know anything about the GHL exhaust? I loved my last fabspeed and was planning on doing that again. I may be willing to part with this exhaust if anyone has an interest.
Inbox please
Old 07-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I love drone.
Ha ha - me too! A Gemballa exhaust drones very nicely and just sounds crazy above 3000rpm.

Drone is actually quite useful - ever had a passenger that talks non-stop (wife, girlfriend, annoying mate etc)? Drone fixes this issue.
notworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notworthy View Post
Ha ha - me too! A Gemballa exhaust drones very nicely and just sounds crazy above 3000rpm.

Drone is actually quite useful - ever had a passenger that talks non-stop (wife, girlfriend, annoying mate etc)? Drone fixes this issue.
Made my day.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:

Got any photos of your Gemballa exhaust ? I bet that M&M in Germany made it for them.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:

I had a Gemballa exhaust installed shortly after getting my Boxster S and all I can say was I absolutely hated it. Was better than the stupidly loud and eafening Stebro one (despite them telling me theres no drone and sounds great) but that thing was horrible and was deafening, ear splitting and migraine inducing with no relief in sight in any gear or rpm with the only relief that consists of parking the car, turning it off and walking away to recover for the next 45mins to work off the ringing ears and migraine. Absolutely brutal and don't know how people live with that
Gemballa was only a little better but still droned like a pig between 1800rpm to 3500rpm's. Sounded really great above that but not worth the 95% compromise though. Maybe it's just me but thsoe 2 experiences have traumatised me enough to develop PTSD whenever I think of changing out the muffler. I'm willing to give it one last go with the cargraphic system though and that's it.

Anybody had any experience with it? Have heard the various sound files but its never going to be a true indication of what it's really like in real life and in-cabin especially.

yellowboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote