Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #1

What side skirts to get?

I'm looking into side skirts as my next upgrade. Can I get opinions on whats out there and who manufactures them?

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #2

ALL the of the aftermarket pieces look like CRAP after install. I like to use the factory aero package pieces that mimic the GT3 aero skirts.

ALL 03 and 04 Boxsters had the aero package. The pieces are *somewhat* easy to come by!!
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
I'm looking into side skirts as my next upgrade. Can I get opinions on whats out there and who manufactures them?

Resources - FLAT6BOX
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

I have some fiberglass aftermarket ones from a company who is no longer in business (thank God). They're not good quality at all.

Buy the Porsche aerokit II polyurethene units. Not cheap, but they won't chip or crack and the fit will be spot-on. eBay sellers will occasionally list them new or used. If you're anxious to get some right away, call Sunset Imports and ask them what their out of state pricing is on them and they might be cheaper than Suncoast or your local stealership.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #5

maybe these:
porsche side skirts
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #6

Brad, I have a '03 but don't have an Aero Package. Are you just saying they were available for 03-04?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

If you do go with fiberglass to save money, scroll to the bottom of this page. They look good. Mine are like the top ones (not the TA version that the guy above in Chris's posts is selling... not that there's anything wrong with them!)

986 Boxster fiberglass parts. Scroll all the way down to the bottom!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

I have some fiberglass ones, GT3 look. Fitment was decent..not perfect, but decent. Bought them from ebay.co.uk actually, had them shipped from Poland (where the seller was) to Canada all said and done under $200...can't go wrong.
Couldnt find anything close in price within North America..broaden your search, dont be afraid to buy something from across the pond.
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Boxster Abuser

I've purchased and installed a few sets of these. Happy with the fitment for an aftermarket Fiberglass part. Nearly a scuff, paint, and install. Used the factory hardware for install.

http://precisionporsche.com/gt3-side-skirts-34-pd.html
4.0L Dry Sump Boxster GT race car - HRG #23
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #10

Much cheaper..probably come from the same mold..

PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER GT3 SIDE SKIRTS | eBay
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58ceramicgreen View Post
Much cheaper..probably come from the same mold..

PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER GT3 SIDE SKIRTS | eBay
If you are happy with fiberglass and eBay then think about the front and rear bumper extensions/splitters. Mine also came from Poland, perhaps same seller, and needed a reasonable amount of sanding, trimming and filling to fit good.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric523 View Post
I've purchased and installed a few sets of these. Happy with the fitment for an aftermarket Fiberglass part. Nearly a scuff, paint, and install. Used the factory hardware for install.

http://precisionporsche.com/gt3-side-skirts-34-pd.html
I purchased from this company as well. They have been on the car nearly 9 years.
Fit was not perfect. there was a gap on the passenger side. not huge but very obvious to someone who knows to look. But the cost was cheap. I paid $300. Too bad I over-payed on the painting but the color match was good and the paint has held up well.

P.S.
I would NOT recommend using a fiberglass rear bumper or front bumper if you drive the car daily. Fiberglass front and rear is fine for a show car or garage queen. The bumpers sit low to the ground and sooner or later your are going to bang into something like a high manhole cover, road kill, junk in the road, or come into contact with a steep driveway. Once fiberglass breaks, a fix to it will not last. it will crack again in the same place. especially on a convertible that rattles a lot.
Go with the factory GT3 bumper or a polyurethane aftermarket (so as long as the fit is good). I will be painting my factory polyurethane front bumper for the 4th time and the rear for the third time. If these were fiberglass forget it right in the dumpster bin.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #13

Garage
I've had my eye on the Polish side skirts and I must say the idea is devilishly tempting. Would replaced a dented part of the car.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote