Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 04:03 AM   #1

Top Question....(maybe dumb)

I just joined the forum over the weekend and have been cruising and searching for information on what to look for when buying a late 90's/early 2000 Boxster, FAQ's, etc....I must say, you all have some great information out on this board. I have printed off a ton and plan to use the recommendations to begin my quest for a Boxster.

I do have one question, though, and it may seem odd. Is there a back-up manual system to raise and lower the top of the car?

My history with sports cars have been MG's and Alfa Romeo's (currently own and am in the final stages of restoring an early 80's Spider Veloce), as most know, those cars mentioned are very "manual top" cars.

I am in the precedings of convincing the family CFO that selling the Alfa and one of the other cars to move toward a Boxster is what we "need" to do. So far the kryptonite has been strong against me, but I think once she gets to test drive one, I will be "victorious"....maybe...well, I have hope....

I'll be searching/reading some more on the board to see what other items of great advice I can add to what I have already found.

Thanks for the top answer in advance.

-Mike
Greenville/Spartanburg, SC

ARSpider2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #2

Yes, there is a way to manually raise and lower the top. It requires unhooking a couple of things, and if I'm not mistaken, removing two screws, but it's not hard to do. It's outline in the owner's manual.

If you haven't read the links in my signature line, I highly recommend it as a future owner of a Boxster <--faith statement for ya, bud.

PS - The "we need this car" thing did NOT work with my CFO (wife). The statement, "I WANT this car, have wanted it for 7 years since it came out on the market, and wanted a Porsche since I was 8 years old and I have the money saved up" was the phrase that pays.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #3

Hey Alfa,

You could probably get a good deal on a new Z4 considering you probably pass the BMW plant a few times a week! Just joking... I was there 2 times in my prior M roadster ownership days. Quite a nice facility and if you havent been for a tour yet, please do so. I am always amazed at production places like that. They also have a nice museum there with some rare cars.

Best of luck on your search.

Check out these pix.. you may know where they were taken!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 AM   #4

Hi,

Yes, there is a procedure for manually raising the top. Here it is:

● Engine OFF, Remove Ignition Key

● Use a Large Screwdriver to pry Top Compartment Lid Links (ABS Black Plastic)
OFF of Drive Levers on each side

● Lift and Tilt Compartment Lid (Boot) rearward and rest in OPEN Position

● Remove Red-Tiped Cable Links off Convertible Top on each side

● Lift Convertible Top and Lock against Top of Windshield Header

● Manually Close Convertible Top Compartment Lid (Boot)

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Once you remove the appropriate Links from the Drive Mechanism, it's quite intuitive. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-13-2006 at 11:38 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 AM   #5

RandallNeighbor....Thanks for the insight on saying "WANT" rather than "NEED" to the wife...that may work...Her cache of krytonite is strong, but I am confident I can overcome it....And Yep your insights of ownership were the VERY first thing I found, printed and am reading. Thanks for doing that for the new Boxster owners and wanna'bees.

Audioguy...I pass the plant daily going to work and have done the tour...simply AWESOME operation. I actually aided in hiring the first group of workers for the plant when it came into operation. The State of SC was aiding with testing, reviewing about 9,000 applications and pre-interviewing candidates. The reviewing and interviewing was my job with others....Again, AWESOME place.

If any of you did not know it, there is a HUGE Eurocar Festival that takes place each year at the BMW Plant around mid-October. European Cars from everywhere and every marque come into town. 2005 they honored Italian Marques and...not to boast, but my Spider took 3rd in the Alfa group. The field of cars was about 350-400 this year. I will say the Porsche crowd is good, but I know could be a LOT bigger. I'll see if I can hang up some pictures for you all to gaze at tonight sometime. Funny, most of my pictures are of Porsches.

To all of you...thanks for the insight on the top issue (Especially with the procedure, MNBoxster)...again, just doing my research and getting some "what-if's" answered.
Thanks, again.

-Mike

Last edited by ARSpider2.0; 01-11-2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Attachments & spelling
ARSpider2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote