Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
2001 Boxster S
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 97
Carrera lights wheel question

Sorry for another wheel question but just wanted to get a second opinion...

Wheels are front 8" with 57 offset and 10" with 58 offset. Would these fit my 2001 S? Tried the wheel calculator and it appears the rears would require an extensive spacer. Not quite sure that's a good idea.

Wheel experts your comments please!

__________________
2001 Boxster S
Arctic Silver
'Brenda' aka Money Trap aka 100% Fun!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
If your goal is to achieve both fitment and appearance, then you'll need to lower the fronts and rears by about 15mm's.
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Registered User
 
EssexPorsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 276
Garage
Fronts : 8 to 8.5 inches wide with offsets ranging from +35 to +45 depending on how aggressive you want to go.

Rears: 9 to 10 inches wide with offsets ranging from +35 to +45 depending on how aggressive you want to go .
__________________
Don't care......was made to care! (my Mum)
EssexPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Registered User
 
EssexPorsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 276
Garage
now that is a direct JD quote!
__________________
Don't care......was made to care! (my Mum)
EssexPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
now that is a direct JD quote!
I'm impressed !
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
2001 Boxster S
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 97
Thanks, gents.

Reading thru some previous posts, it seems a 15/20 spacer setup would give a flush look.

Not a big fan of spacers probably because I don't know much about their impact. But if JD uses them, it should be okay.

Now, to find out about the quality of the wheels being offered...
__________________
2001 Boxster S
Arctic Silver
'Brenda' aka Money Trap aka 100% Fun!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgnarvs View Post
Thanks, gents.

Reading thru some previous posts, it seems a 15/20 spacer setup would give a flush look.

Not a big fan of spacers probably because I don't know much about their impact. But if JD uses them, it should be okay.

Now, to find out about the quality of the wheels being offered...
There's nothing wrong with the use of spacers is this application, provided they are guaranteed to be hubcentric.
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,655
BTW these are the carrera lights for 996s... Porsche makes them in boxster fitment 7.5" front & 9" rear that do not require spacers at all.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
2001 Boxster S
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
BTW these are the carrera lights for 996s... Porsche makes them in boxster fitment 7.5" front & 9" rear that do not require spacers at all.
I suppose so. I just haven't found a set at the right price range.

Going for the Boxster fitment also means there is no added aggressiveness to the look! Hmmm...
__________________
2001 Boxster S
Arctic Silver
'Brenda' aka Money Trap aka 100% Fun!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgnarvs View Post
I suppose so. I just haven't found a set at the right price range.

Going for the Boxster fitment also means there is no added aggressiveness to the look! Hmmm...
Just follow the formula for lowering the offset via spacers and you'll be all set.
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
Registered User
 
EssexPorsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 276
Garage
and remember..... anything above 3MM spacers will require a longer lug bolt - add the wdith of the spacer to the length of the OEM bolt and purchase replacements accordingly.
__________________
Don't care......was made to care! (my Mum)
EssexPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
and remember..... anything above 3MM spacers will require a longer lug bolt - add the wdith of the spacer to the length of the OEM bolt and purchase replacements accordingly.
Is there an echo here ?
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Registered User
 
EssexPorsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 276
Garage
Ha Ha, that day you got banned had us all running scared - so i thought best to brush up in case we needed a new 'Grand Poobah' for such info.

Luckily for us you are still with us, but now i have knowledge and i just wanna use it!
__________________
Don't care......was made to care! (my Mum)
EssexPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
Ha Ha, that day you got banned had us all running scared - so i thought best to brush up in case we needed a new 'Grand Poobah' for such info.

Luckily for us you are still with us, but now i have knowledge and i just wanna use it!
Whoa! I must of missed something... Anyone know where I can go to find out what happened and why JD got banned? If he can get banned; no one is safe.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
Registered User
 
EssexPorsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 276
Garage
look up Threads by @ Farewell Danger
The story plays out!
__________________
Don't care......was made to care! (my Mum)
EssexPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
2001 Boxster S
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Just follow the formula for lowering the offset via spacers and you'll be all set.
Thanks, JD! Any suggestion on which brand and how much I should budget for 15/20 spacers? Are those being sold by Suncoast any good?
__________________
2001 Boxster S
Arctic Silver
'Brenda' aka Money Trap aka 100% Fun!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Registered User
 
aclark133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hartford CT
Posts: 234
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgnarvs View Post
Thanks, JD! Any suggestion on which brand and how much I should budget for 15/20 spacers? Are those being sold by Suncoast any good?
There are a million and one suppliers for spacers. I have H&R, try ecstuning.com that's where I got my spacers and bolts
aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
... then one day, Johnny Danger began thinking he was a GOD!... and so the thunder did rain down, oh so soon!...
__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Johnny Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,810
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
... then one day, Johnny Danger began thinking he was a GOD!... and so the thunder did rain down, oh so soon!...
Don't forget the part about the frogs and locusts !
__________________
Don't worry I've got the microfilm.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Don't forget the part about the frogs and locusts !
Nor that the frog turned out to be a prince!

__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page