Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2016, 03:56 AM   #61
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
986 as a future classic

My 986 is a classic to me every time I start it up. It ticks nearly all of my boxes (hey, a pun). I'm in for the long haul and I plan on keeping road worthy as long as I can. If it some day starts to be worth a little money then great, but either way I am happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:31 AM   #62

I bought my 01s back in June 2009,brought it into Canada, and got it on the road for about $25,000, (including all taxes, licensing and 4 new tires)

It's still in great shape and I could not sell it for high teens now in cdn pesos, but what would get me as much fun for the same price today?

The 986s is not perfect, but it's still a great car for the $$, especially if you can find one in good condition.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #63

I have enjoyed reading the various opinions. I do think they are beautiful cars, especially the S's with the red calipers poking through the twists. As far as collectibility or being a classic, I am not sure the car will ever overcome the stigma. It was the porsche community that unfortunately attacked the car upon release. Did the same to the 996. Dam shame in my opinion. I have my guesses why. Though as the porsche community was bashing these cars, all the car reviews at the time these were introduced were very, very favorable. The writers had no vested interest in protecting the 911 so I think they wrote as they believed. I believe when the S came out in 2000 it knocked the vette and the z3 off car and drivers top ten. Pretty amazing feat considering it was stigmatized as the "hair dressers" car.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #64

Hello,

914. Well i think you have to differentiate between a 914/4 and a 914/6.

I would say the 986 is a future classic, because Porsche is interested that it will get a classic Porsche car – just because Porsche Classic centre is interested in doing business.

Also Porsche always raises part prices for Classic Porsche cars. So maintenance is getting expensive, which also means maintenance prices raise and that means car prices for good cars stay stable or raise.

Will the value raise? Edition cars always raise a little bit more than the "standard" cars. So a 986 550 Spyder might be a good choice.

But if you take a look at the maintaining costs i'm not shure if it is a good invest. I think if you drive your car you can throw around 1.000 Euros of maintenance costs in your car yearly (tyres, brakes, oil changes, general maintenance). And every 10 years i see an investment of around 5.000 Euros (clutch, suspension, water pump, generator, condensators, convertible top, rubber parts and all the other stuff that can break). So in 10 years you'll have an invest of 14.000 Euros. Plus taxes, insurance, fuel, garage rent and so on. Plus inflation.

So if you put the car in a car collection and wait, maybe you'll get a little money out of it. But f you drive it you won't. But you will have driving pleasure.

And at the moment i see a bubble in Porsche prices over here in Europe – mainly caused by low bank rates. So people try to invest in goods.

Regards, Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote