Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Garage
Uview questions

I'm planning on buying a Uview but I want to know if anyone has the 550500 model. It is the plastic economy version of the of the 550000 tool. I only will use this thing about a half a dozen times & want to know if the extra $50 is worth the one with the brass fittings.
Thanks.

Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
I'm planning on buying a Uview but I want to know if anyone has the 550500 model. It is the plastic economy version of the of the 550000 tool. I only will use this thing about a half a dozen times & want to know if the extra $50 is worth the one with the brass fittings.
Thanks.
Yes, not only because the brass unit is better made, it also comes with adaptors to fit just about anything which could be important down the road or if you go to sell it.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks JFP. That makes my decision a lot easier.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Garage
Another question, I have a 2 gal compressor that can get to 90-100 psi. would this be adequate?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
Another question, I have a 2 gal compressor that can get to 90-100 psi. would this be adequate?
May take some time to pull full vacuum as it is probably a little on the low side in terms of air delivery; but it should work,
Old 07-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Bryan, it should work. I have a 3 gallon capacity air compressor. Max 100 PSI. It takes at least two pulls to get it to 25PSI on the uView. Be sure, to plan on it and prepare how to shut off the vacume between cycles to minimize pressure loss. Worst case, you need to do it three times instead of two.

That method worked fine for me.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

Garage
Thanks for the info guys it's very helpful & nice to know I probably don't need to buy a new compressor.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #8

But wouldn't it be nice to run air tools? :dance:
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
But wouldn't it be nice to run air tools? :dance:
Yes, and that is one reason why I plan to buy a replacement some day. I only bought the 3 gallong one I have for paint and small jobs. I miss the larger one I had from Sears, but even it couldn't keep up with some of the air tools I use.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #10

Resurrecting this thread because I just got the UView (with the brass fittings one) and need a compressor. I would also use the compressor for airing up tires, and maybe driving small brads and things, but nothing like big impact driver tools or other air tools (well at least not anytime in the near future that I can think of? Portability is not a big factor for me, it will just be sitting in the garage)

I used to have the small pancake compressor from Harbor Freight about 10-15 years ago, but after having to take it back because it broke I upgraded to a bigger HF one which I donated to "Wings for the Word" (or maybe "of" the Word) about 7 years ago. So I am currently compressor-less and don't want to go the HF route again this time. Any hot tips for me?

Thank you!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Garage
The Sears 3 gal/1hp/125psi unit (~$80) is what I used with my AirLift, and it worked just fine.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #12

I used mine for the first time this weekend to get rid of an air bubble, (JFP's suggestion)...

Worked like a champ! Don't know how I ever lived without it...

bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote