Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
haz

Strange sound from gas cap area / ontop of right wheelwell

I recorded the sound last night, anyone have any clue as to what it is? I did bring it up earlier but didn't start a new thread. Sorry for starting so many threads by the way, this will hopefully be the last one for a long time

Boxster strange noise below hood / above right front wheel - YouTube

They did check the power steering fluid reserv level at the last service 3 weeks ago and it was fine. I heard that can cause a similiar noise.

Ayone know what can be causing this?

Location the sound is located:

haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

I have a similar noise which I cannot track down, occurs at various speeds and is mildly annoying. Fortunately the "drone" from my Charlie Chan muffler drowns it out. I refer to it as my 'fahrengeist' or journey spirit or even ghost of Boxsters past in honor of all the IMS blown engines!!!. Whatever the case if you get it sorted out let the rest of us know.

AKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
I recorded the sound last night, anyone have any clue as to what it is? I did bring it up earlier but didn't start a new thread. Sorry for starting so many threads by the way, this will hopefully be the last one for a long time

Boxster strange noise below hood / above right front wheel - YouTube

They did check the power steering fluid reserv level at the last service 3 weeks ago and it was fine. I heard that can cause a similiar noise.

Ayone know what can be causing this?

Location the sound is located:

'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

Howling from the fuel tank area.... - Pelican Parts Technical BBS
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
haz

aha !!

There are two valves under the right front fender that are the culprit of this noise. they open and close for tank venting and are not shutting off. Replace them and the noise will go away

so now I need to google purge valves , what damage them not working might cause my car -and what they do and how many $$$

thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
haz

so maybe two of these then?
NEW Porsche Boxster 911 Fuel Purge Valve Canisterpart Number 99660520101 | eBay
Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
aha !!

There are two valves under the right front fender that are the culprit of this noise. they open and close for tank venting and are not shutting off. Replace them and the noise will go away

so now I need to google purge valves , what damage them not working might cause my car -and what they do and how many $$$

thanks!
I believe Haz is on the money here. I talked to a friend who indicated a valve was causing his problem. In his case it was Carbon Canister valve. He also indicated he had trouble fueling. I have never had this problem however.

I have a whistling noise that is pronounced going 70mph+. There are reports of blowing and whistling or sucking from these valves. I uploaded a friend's repair invoice that remedied his problem.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #7

May not be this but you can easily get a whistling noise at 70mph from the seam were your front bumper meets your hood.

Cover the seam and go for a drive to see if the noise goes away. If noise problem is solved, adjust the fitment between the top of the bumper and the hood.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

There is a third valve in that area that can make a noise. It is the AC expansion valve. Mine makes some noise, but it is different than the noise in the video. It's easy enough to check. Lift the hood, remove the access cover to the left of the battery cover, turn the AC on and listen while standing next to the car. It will be obvious if its the expansion valve.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #9

I had this howling noise. I tried replacing the two purge valves, housing, and lines and it didn't fix the issue.

I actually tracked it down to an additional valve in the fuel filler (2000 Boxster S).

I've got the other two purge valves in the housing, with new lines if you want to try replacing those, PM we and we can workout a price.
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
There is a third valve in that area that can make a noise. It is the AC expansion valve. Mine makes some noise, but it is different than the noise in the video. It's easy enough to check. Lift the hood, remove the access cover to the left of the battery cover, turn the AC on and listen while standing next to the car. It will be obvious if its the expansion valve.
Thanks, I'll try this. Any others want to have a guess at what the sound could be caused by?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I can confirm, that is a bad EVAP valve. I just had this fixed a month ago, exactly the same sound. Kind of a hydraulic gas escaping type sound every now and then (mostly when coming to a stop) from the front right side of the car. Repair cost about $450.

My receipt from the dealer states the following:
"Replace Tank Vent Line for Fault Codes as per Porsche Bulletin, Part: 996.110.129.06"
I was getting running lean codes: P01124, P01126, and P0455.

Hope that helps!
-Rick

Last edited by rick3000; 11-04-2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: don't know my left from my right
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #12
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I can confirm, that is a bad EVAP valve. I just had this fixed a month ago, exactly the same sound. Kind of a hydraulic gas escaping type sound every now and then (mostly when coming to a stop) from the front left side of the car. Repair cost about $450.

My receipt from the dealer states the following:
"Replace Tank Vent Line for Fault Codes as per Porsche Bulletin, Part: 996.110.129.06"
I was getting running lean codes: P01124, P01126, and P0455.

Hope that helps!
-Rick

Thank you! But you say left side? This sound is coming fro the gas filling side = passenger side. Could you confirm what side you meant? I jst ran my Box and didn't find any codes as these though. "Hydraulic gas escaping" type sound is very clever of you
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Passenger Side, Right side, that was my mistake. And yes, that was my clever way of describing the sound to the dealer when I took the car in.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #14
haz

I like it

And thanks again!! Googled a little and looks to be around $130 for an OEM part, hopefully this job as a DYI type..

http://www.partswebsite.com/oeporscheparts/oemparts/porsche-147/996.110.129.06.html
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #15
haz

Btw, what kind of damage can this do to the system if not replaced? I wll not be able to do it asap..
Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I was searching for the cause of this sound for months, never though to google 'howling' and find that Pelican Parts post. I did not have any adverse affects, although I suspect it may have been affecting my mileage slightly.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I was searching for the cause of this sound for months, never though to google 'howling' and find that Pelican Parts post. I did not have any adverse affects, although I suspect it may have been affecting my mileage slightly.
He he .. "howling" is a key word I've seen many times now after Googling this particular sound. And now I know this: Box'es make many different sounds and noises when something isn't right

Mkay.. Bad mileage I (my wallet) can live with, for now.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
May not be this but you can easily get a whistling noise at 70mph from the seam were your front bumper meets your hood.

Cover the seam and go for a drive to see if the noise goes away. If noise problem is solved, adjust the fitment between the top of the bumper and the hood.
The leading edge of the hood needs to be set slightly lower than the back edge of the bumper cover to avoid this type of howl.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #19

Garage
Just put a piece of duck tape over the little hole at the front edge of the gas filler area. Noise will be gone. Mine has been covered for 2 years no codes and no issue filling with fuel. Also passed our emissions testing without any issues. The hole is hard to see but with the fuel door open it will be on the front side of the door.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #20
haz

That's it? Is the construction useless?