Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #41

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
You can buy that adaptor to go from the iPhone 4 plugs to iPhone five

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #42
haz

Oh well. I have placed the order, and besides, the other cable option was three times the price. So I guess all I am missing out on with my choice is the ability to charge. I will be sure to bring a charger that hooks up to my cigarettte lighter on long trips
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 AM   #43

BĂ****i vi?t khá hay, hihi
Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintro11 View Post
You can buy that adaptor to go from the iPhone 4 plugs to iPhone five
True, but still leaves everyone in the android camp with only the headphone jack.
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #45
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
True, but still leaves everyone in the android camp with only the headphone jack.

:ah:
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post

:ah:
A first world problem, for sure.
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #47

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Time to buy an iPhone

That gateway box Is probably the best option if you want to keep the stock radio, USB ports and blue tooth slot
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #48
haz

Got a quote for the job of replacing the IMS bearing stuff... About $3500 without the part from LN Engineering........ Not happening.

So what Ill do is do a small service next week and ask the mechanic to check for metal residue and/or metal shavings after the oilchange that might give an indicator about the bearings condition..
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #49
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
Got a quote for the job of replacing the IMS bearing stuff... About $3500 without the part from LN Engineering........ Not happening.

So what Ill do is do a small service next week and ask the mechanic to check for metal residue and/or metal shavings after the oilchange that might give an indicator about the bearings condition..
Holy Cow...why so much? THey must be including the change out of some other parts? My guy doing mine today is not the cheapest in the business, but has done many of these and with oil change, filter, RMS seal and the new bearing - all said and done it will be $2400.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #50
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
Holy Cow...why so much? THey must be including the change out of some other parts? My guy doing mine today is not the cheapest in the business, but has done many of these and with oil change, filter, RMS seal and the new bearing - all said and done it will be $2400.
Because Norway... he he... I dunno. Maybe they are the only ones that do it, besides Porsche (which are even more $$$.......)
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #51
recycledsixtie

Garage
Not the only place....

I have been quoted $4400 Can. for replacement of clutch, ims, rms etc by my indy garage. That is one reason I have had the Ims Guardian installed. It is generally more expensive to get repairs done here than in the US....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #52
haz

It's great that you did the upgrade and installed a guardian
Although I heard it's only a connector setting off a light when too much metal shavings gets collected, and isn't enough to rely on.. but then again, this is coming from the shop that gave me a quote for the IMS replacement job...

First, I'll do a small service, and I'll insist on being the in person when they drop the oilpan and I'll see for myself how it looks like and if there is anything to worry about.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #53
haz

So I decided to clean my radiators. I just assumed no one has ever bothered to, over its 13 year life. I printed this as a referance Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Front Bumper Removal - 986 / 987

The picture does NOT do justice how much crap and crud and pebbles and just thick and smelly mud.... I almost got sick it was so disgusting......

Clean again! I used a brush to get all of the main crud out and also, it's easier when it's dry.. Then power cleaner..

BTW: Is my left front radiator broke? Look at the bottom left corner, looks like the bottom row is coming off.. does this give any lack in efficiency at all?

Now...... the scariest discovery......... the right one is half covered in "cement" !! This has GOT to effect a lot, right??

So, I did this to avoid overheating, from what I read that can happen if they are clogged from filth over the years.

It was a fair DIY job, took 2.5 hrs at a friends house who handed me tools, collected screws and for motivation. Some plastic covers left and right underneith was gone..

All in all, a fun job

Last edited by haz; 08-06-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #54

Garage
Hello Haz,

The cement/damage is actually on the condenser. The condenser is part of the A/C system. The condenser is in front, and the radiator in the back. It is good to see you cleaned you radiators, but strange to see cement. Perhaps the previous owner may have driven too close to road construction?
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #55
haz

Thank you

When I wrote cement, I should've used quotes, as it felt like the dirt combined with water has created a thick layer over the front condenser - making it like cement.

And how do you feel about the left condensor, is the broken part going to affect its performance at all?

And thanks for clearing that up, ac condensor in front, radiator in the back.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #56

Just Google it
Felipe Derosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #57
haz

Just show me your Google result that answers my question, since you are so confident that a Google search will do? Some first post.. and yeah, I googled before I asked (and searched the forums)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #58

Garage
Haz, does your air conditioning work? As long as the vertical fins are damaged, and the horizontal metal lines are not punctured, it shouldn't really be a problem.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #59
haz

Now that you mention it, it probably doesn't! I only had the car since april 4.th and always drive with the top down, but there has been a couple of days of rain with the top up, I have had to use the fans inside the cocpit and it only produced normal temperature air when positioned "cold". So I guess I just answered my own question... Thanks

So just replace it then? Looked like an easy job, when I had the bumper off...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #60

Garage
I would just try and see how the air conditioning works when it is warmer. Here in Texas, you cannot go without air conditioning. It is over 100f here every day for weeks. I don't think a condenser is just plug and play, you might have to purge the system after you disconnect it.