Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #1

Broken Fuel Cap Actuator

Hi all, I have the same thread of at the Pelican board but I thought I'd try my luck here also! I have done a fair few searches to try and find anyone describing anything similar but so far nothing however I have learnt a fair bit during my searches which has been great.

So I have a 2004 Boxster S which recently developed an issue with the remote central locking.

All of a sudden the key fob stopped working and would not unlock the doors remotely. The central locking does still work when I lock and unlock the door with the key manually though.

I have replaced the battery in the key but no change. The red LED is illuminating and always did so I wasn't confident that would work but had to check.

Eventually I noticed that my Fuel Cap is not locking at all and have since had my mechanic confirm that the actuator part has failed. Immediately I thought that this was the cause of my key fob not working as I have read that it takes one faulty part in the central locking system to throw this out however my mechanic disagreed and feels the two are not related. weird too because he also quoted me 197$ for the part... A bit steep considering it is $33ish from Pelican!

My question is: Does anyone know if a broken fuel cap actuator could throw out my entire remote central locking? I'm being optimistic and believing that it could as it seems like an easy fix

qstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #2

My gas tankl lid doesn't lock either but everything else works correctly. I do know that if you leave the car locked more tan a few days the remote doesn't open the door and you have to use the key. After that the remote works correctly
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

It could be the culprit. My passenger door lock assembly went kaput and I could not lock the car. And Porsche, in their infinite wisdom, did not engineer in manual door lock buttons on the doors. Grrr.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have read about the remote deactivating after a few days of non use. I followed the instructions to reactivate it however no luck.

I guess at this stage since I need to replace the actuator anyway I can only go ahead with that and see what happens afterwards.. Fingers crossed.

qstoria is offline   Reply With Quote