Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a 2001 manual Boxster from my brother-in-law. I have been lurking on this forum for the past few weeks since I got the car, now I think it's time to post something. The car has 124k miles, the interior is a little worn on the trim pieces (I guess this is typical?), but the exterior is in excellent condition. The car has a few codes (p1128, p1130, p1119, p0410, p1411), which I think are not unusual from what I have read. Since I got the car, I have done the following:
  • cleaned the MAF sensor
  • replaced the AOS (found plenty of oil in the intake while cleaning the throttle body, and saw smoke at startup)
  • installed a new Pioneer headunit (now I can enjoy Bluetooth streaming from my phone)
There're some (annoying) things that I have noticed and read from the forum:
  • blinking oil indicator at startup
  • fuel gauge only goes to 7/8
  • loud clunk or thud while shifting at low speeds
  • 3000 rpm vibration

My repair plans:
  • 120k maintanance (spark plugs replacement for now)
  • tackle the CEL codes, probably the secondary air injection system first
  • motor mount replacement??
  • HID projector retrofit

I found an after market motor mount bushing, and was wondering if anybody has any experience with these?

The Boxster (and Porsche overall) is new to me, so I still have much to learn and read from the forum. Sorry for the long post, here're some pics. By the way, I tried the Armorall Custom Shield (clear) on my front bumper, but it's not clear, so I took it off, as you can see in the pics. Also, my previous car was a 1999 Honda Prelude, really loved it and still love it whenever I see one.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited by hancock1701; 07-05-2013 at 05:52 PM.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #2

congrats on the new boxster. Looks like you know what has to be done in terms of repairs. Also That was one clean prelude. Was that stock height or slightly lowered? I can't tell from the picture angles.

On a side note my box is also in the 120s, I would suggest getting the transmission oil changed if the previous owner did not do it at the 90k mark. That may smoothen out the some of the cluck of the gear change.

Last edited by Bmod986; 07-05-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
still plays with cars...

Garage
Welcome to the club!

My fuel gauge also typically only goes to 7/8 as well. Apparently there is a recalibration that can be done, but probably only by a dealer and their specialized testing equipment. It doesn't bother me enough to drive over an hour to the nearest stealership to get it looked at. There's more here on the subject, just search away.

The vibration and clunk/thud typically point to a pooched front engine mount. KennyBoxster posted up an amazing DIY to replace a bad mount. Look here:Boxster Motor Mount Tips & Pointers

+1 on the trans oil change. Once again, an easy DIY project.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

Hi hancock

Welcome to the forums. Im also very new like you.

My friend tells me to try xpel ultimate car bra. Very clear and self healing unlike the armor all. Google it
Pedrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #5

Grats on your Box.I've wondered about the Armoral product and am thinking that the 3M version is going to be my choice to try. 3M stuff has always worked well anytime I've used it.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post

The vibration and clunk/thud typically point to a pooched front engine mount. KennyBoxster posted up an amazing DIY to replace a bad mount. Look here:Boxster Motor Mount Tips & Pointers

+1 on the trans oil change. Once again, an easy DIY project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmod986 View Post
congrats on the new boxster. Looks like you know what has to be done in terms of repairs. Also That was one clean prelude. Was that stock height or slightly lowered? I can't tell from the picture angles.
That was stock height. That Prelude was mostly stock. Thank you for the tranny fluid tip, I will definitely do that this weekend.

I just got under the car to check the front engine mount. I couldn't really tell if it was bad or not since it's kinda hidden behind the metal mounts. I also saw the one inner CV boot that was torn. I guess the CV boot replacement will be next on the list.

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote