Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I need to get my photo sharing account up again. The size limit for attachments here is too low.

By the way, you should consider the Forgestar F14 wheels. They are as light as the 18" factory Carreras, (important if you don't want your car to go slower with a harsher ride), actually come in 18" (giving you more tire tire choices at better prices) and I've seen them sell for under $1400. They come in gun metal just like my repainted Carreras.

so these wheels (gun metal) with my PORSCHE decal stripes (below) would look great on your car.
Just skip my replica 997 Turbo wheels, a.k.a. 30Lb. boat anchors I only use in winter.

997 Turbo Replica wheels (too heavy)

Here's the Boxster Spyder bumper cover for the 986

easy installation:
Porsche GT3 TEK 996 Rear Diffuser Installation BBMD - YouTube

smoke LED tail lights
http://www.speedstersource.com/WEB/PRODUCT/TL_POR_BOX_97_DP_LED_RS_E.JPG
@perfectlap - is the gunmetal f14 on the black 987 in the above photo 18 or 19 ?

Last edited by Pedrof; 07-09-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Pedrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #22
2001 Boxster S

Pedrof,

Once you've decided, do share the overall price including shipping to Manila. I was looking at Victor Zehns but those Forgestars are growing on me.

good luck, bro!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrof View Post
now im really confused hehehe!

@perfectlap - thanks for showing the forgestar f14 its now option 1 for me. Are 18" better for the 986? my fear of 19" is the driveability of the car to suffer because the wheels are too big that rubs everywhere in sprited driving; nor don't want to drop the suspension so it will look proper

What will be a good offset that clears everything (wheel, struts etc) for an 18 x 8.5 Front and 18 x 10 Rear (10" are the only available for deep concave)

sorry for asking too much. its because i will have no chance to try it because i will just order online. The 808 and Forgestar F14 are very similar looking eh?

@JD - that champion rs98 is very very nice.. though the price ($5000?) made it unatrractive for my wallet
Honestly, I think a lightweight 16" with top shelf rubber are the best size for the 986 if you want your car to go fast, turn faster, and ride smoothly -- definitely if its a non-S engine. But few companies makes 16 or 17 wheels, in Porsche fit, that really fill out the wheel well in a way that looks natural. So 18" is the best "in-between" consideration. A light weight 19", not requiring rear wheel spacers, is also good but im my opinion makes the car look out of proportion without a larger front bumper and skirting. That's my one big complaint about all the new 981 Boxsters, the wheel well opening is now so big that anything but a 19" or even 20" wheel looks like the car is on training wheels. And these SUV sized wheels on a car that has not really swelled in its size like the Carrera has looks like one of those Match box cars with the bling bling wheels. You can practically see right through the whole wheel to the other side of the car. More rubber is better for sports cars. Skinny tires are for Hot Import Nights car shows.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #24

Quote:
@perfectlap - is the gunmetal f14 on the black 987 in the above photo 18 or 19 ?
"Forgestar F14 in 19x8.5 47mm and 19.x10 33mm on Nitto Invos 235/35 and 285/30. The weight was 22.5 and 24.x for the rears."

Heavier than I thought in the rear for 19". Personally I think the car would look great in 18" and total cost with tires would be less.
With skirting the car will look lower without having to actually lower the car. I have had bad experiences lowering cars for street driving,
everything takes a pounding and with a convertible the rattles and squeaks of things getting loose get louder and louder over time.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #25

Quote:
"Forgestar F14 in 19x8.5 47mm and 19.x10 33mm on Nitto Invos 235/35 and 285/30. The weight was 22.5 and 24.x for the rears."

Heavier than I thought in the rear for 19". Personally I think the car would look great in 18" and total cost with tires would be less.
With skirting the car will look lower without having to actually lower the car. I have had bad experiences lowering cars for street driving,
everything takes a pounding and with a convertible the rattles and squeaks of things getting loose get louder and louder over time.
@perfectlap- if i get say an 18x8.5 ET47 and an 18x10 ET33 with 235/35 and 285/30 nittos, the wheels in the 987 will sit the same as my 986 but with smaller diameter, no rubbing, and proper looking for my car?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgnarvs View Post
Pedrof,

Once you've decided, do share the overall price including shipping to Manila. I was looking at Victor Zehns but those Forgestars are growing on me.

good luck, bro!
Sure! Hey i think there's a victor zehn in wheel gallery san juan.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:

Are you really running a 19 x10 +33 with a 285 on the rear ?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #28

Quote:
@perfectlap- if i get say an 18x8.5 ET47 and an 18x10 ET33 with 235/35 and 285/30 nittos, the wheels in the 987 will sit the same as my 986 but with smaller diameter, no rubbing, and proper looking for my car?
I would defer to the expert on issues of spacers and rubbing.
Call the TireRack.com or email damon@tirerack.com
They're a Rennlist sponsor so they know these cars well.

by the way, if you're going to be doing some track driving I might consider something a little sturdier, the Forgestar is a nice lightweight street wheel but its not meant for racing. You'll definitely want a set of dedicated track wheels like the OZ Ultraleggera.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Are you really running a 19 x10 +33 with a 285 on the rear ?
No that's a quote from the 987 guy with the Forgestar F14's.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #30

Quote:
I would defer to the expert on issues of spacers and rubbing.
Call the TireRack.com or email damon@tirerack.com
They're a Rennlist sponsor so they know these cars well.

by the way, if you're going to be doing some track driving I might consider something a little sturdier, the Forgestar is a nice lightweight street wheel but its not meant for racing. You'll definitely want a set of dedicated track wheels like the OZ Ultraleggera.

holy ********************, nice bumpers, i was looking at something similar below from design911 with the front drl's. do anybody have this bumper alread? how's the fit and quality of the drl

Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #31

perfectlap, i will email damon of tirerack. i would go for the 18" f14's, my wife gonna kill me when the packages arrive lol
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #32

Does anyone know how much Carrera Lights weigh?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 AM   #33

Garage
+1 on heliguy's question - be interesting know the weights of 18"
Also i'm sure there must be quite a difference in the weights of different tyres? given they are the furthest extremity of the rotational mass, the lighter the better - is there a published list anywhere by size and brand that provides this?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #34
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Sure! Hey i think there's a victor zehn in wheel gallery san juan.
Unfortunately, they only have 11s for the rear. Ain't gonna work.
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Does anyone know how much Carrera Lights weigh?
I think I weighed them myself when they came in at 20.25 lb. front 21.5 lb rear.
But still they're only cast wheels and well dent easily if you hit them at the wrong angle. I've had to straighten at least two. I only point this out because the asking price for Porsche factory wheels is a bit too high if you ask me for what you're actually getting. I picked them up for $1,300back before the Eruo spiked at . Good timing on my part. I had to replace one of them recently and the best I could find for a factory used wheel was $500 and wheel still needed to be repainted. If you're going to spend that much you should consider a forged wheel. I think CCWheel.com makes a decently priced one. Or at least consider the OZ's where only the inner part is cast the flange is forged. Smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
+1 on heliguy's question - be interesting know the weights of 18"
Also i'm sure there must be quite a difference in the weights of different tyres? given they are the furthest extremity of the rotational mass, the lighter the better - is there a published list anywhere by size and brand that provides this?
Very true. The weight of the tire is of more consequence. Better to have a heavy wheel/light tire than a light wheel/heavy tire. But unless you're trying to set the fastest time of the day at your local track, the weight of a Boxster-worthy tire isn't going to be a huge issue. And its a much less complicated decision to opt for a light wheel since unlike the tire there aren't as many factors to consider like wet traction, wear, warm up time, etc. A wheel is a pretty simple proposition: strong, light and cheap. You must pick two of the three.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #36

Quote:
holy ********************, nice bumpers, i was looking at something similar below from design911 with the front drl's. do anybody have this bumper alread? how's the fit and quality of the drl

If you're roads are rough and you intend to drive a lot I would stick with the factory 996 GT3.1 bumper. These upgrade bumpers sit low to the ground and are very easily scratched or cracked if you are not driving really carefully all the time.
I have the GT3 bumper and it's going to be repainted for the fourth time, but luckily there is still no cracking because its polyurethane. I once had a fiberglass rear bumper on another car and after the first dingbat drove into the back of me, the repair never really lasted for too long. Going over a big hole in the ground or a light tap by another car would split the paint right where the repair was. that'a a problem for a car that shakes a lot like a convertible. My fiberglass side skirts have held up well but its pretty hard for another car to crash into those. Fiberglass front and rear bumpers are good for cars that see very little mileage.

p.s.
GT3tek make some polyurethane aftermarket bumpers. The Boxster Spyder rear bumper cover was folded into a box so small that I had no idea there was a bumper in there. They also run holiday sales with a 25% discount. I'm not sure if the fit of front bumpers are as good as the factory though. You might have some of those annoying gaps where the bumpers meet the fenders, side marker lights, headlights,etc.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-10-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #37

Garage
Thanks PL, always great getting feedback from you.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #38

Quote:
perfectlap, i will email damon of tirerack. i would go for the 18" f14's, my wife gonna kill me when the packages arrive lol
If she survived seeing Pac-Man hitting the canvas that won't be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
Thanks PL, always great getting feedback from you.
bish bash bosh that's how we roll.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-10-2013 at 01:03 PM.