Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

what ive realized about my boxster

at first i was intimidated about all the potential problems down the road,then i realized that this car my 03s has many diy projects ,and that i can do a lot of maintenance and repairs .i also realized that my car may be dated in terms of modern 2013-14 cars,but it has a soul.by that i mean its got just enough power and handling galore plus it looks great.so now im not intimidated by it and rather am happy i can keep most of it going as well as having a unique sports car

rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Garage
Well said. That echos my feelings exactly.
I have the money to upgrade to a newer model.... But I'm happy spending my pot on this one.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #3

Agreed that a "Clasic" is just as awesome as having the newest car off the lot.

If you bought a new one would you get 5x more enjoyment?

Personally. I'd stress about it getting scratched and it would end up a garage queen.

Looking at it another way you could have your DD Boxster plus another one just for racing, money for tires, repairs and upgrades plus an RV to tow it to the events for the same price as a brand new one.

Which option is more fun!!!

Hence I never buy new unless its a gotta have it scenario.

I have had my 01 Boxster S for a year and it first it stayed in the garage a lot, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to drive it so now its the DD. Plus it has a few minor scratches now so I feel less worried about it getting the odd scuff going to the beach and taking it more places.

I even Auto-cross it now and get it really dirty

Also, the opportunities to upgrade the older model Bosters to look as modern and even better is definately there with all the aftermarket stuff, body kits, lighting upgrades, rims, etc
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-03-2013 at 06:03 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

As I have posted before, considering the vintage of these cars (the 986's are now between 10 and 17 years from the date of manufacture) they are pretty bloody reliable. Take virtually any car of that age, corner hard, brake hard, redline the engine with some frequency and see what happens to brakes, suspension, clutches, electrical components, transmissions and engines.

I could afford a new Boxster, but to me it would be a complete waste as I can get more enjoyment using the additional funds elsewhere. The point is, I find the 986 just as much fun to drive as the newer cars (and more fun if one compares a manual 986 with a 981 with electric steering and the almost mandatory PDK). I love the looks of the 986 - its curvaceous, clean, understated lines with roots in the 550 Spyder speak to Porsche's history - and to me, the car just seems more uniquely a Porsche than the subsequent 987 and 981. I love the clamshell for the top - it looks so cool opening and closing and provides a much more finsihed look with the top down than the new 981. Bottom line - the 986 is really quite a package at such a low cost of admission and, while upkeep costs are higher than some economboxes, they are decidedly not an econobox!

Based upon the comments of many others, I have budgeted $2000.00 t0 $2500.00 annually for maintenance and at the moment, I am far enough ahead of the game that I could afford to install a new clutch and IMS bearing and stay within that budget (and no I am not - I am still waiting for my clutch to need replacement). Perhaps the best way to look at a 986 is to think of them as a budget mid-engined exotic car. The acceleration and top speed may not be up to that of various Ferrari's, Maseratis, Lambo's etc., but the layout, handling, braking and fun-quotient certainly are. They also have a degree of cache, for those who are interested in the same (and what Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati and yes, Porsche owner is not, to some degree, proud of their car's pedigree?).

In life one has to learn to accept the good with the bad, and IMO, the good in the Boxster vastly outweights any issues concerning reliability and the cost of maintenance.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

The 986 is the holy grail!

fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote