Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #1

Mesh grills

I am creating some mesh inserts for my side vents and need a reversible bonding agent for the mesh to plastic. So it can go back to stock. Any ideas? I was going to try wind shield adhesive. I done it before up front but I can't get a hold of that stuff anymore

Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I am creating some mesh inserts for my side vents and need a reversible bonding agent for the mesh to plastic. So it can go back to stock. Any ideas? I was going to try wind shield adhesive. I done it before up front but I can't get a hold of that stuff anymore
You'll get the idea.

Don't mount the clip with a fasteners, use HOT glue instead or epoxy if you are worry. Degrease the ABS plastic before doing anything. Clips are 1mm thick aluminum, easy to custom-cut and flexible.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #3

Thanks!!! Hot glue is a great idea....will it hold?? I didn't think of it I think am going a bit brain dead these days

So hook in the clips and glue the the tabs to the plastic...great idea!

Where did you get the clips from???
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #4

Tabs, that is the term I was looking for thank you sir. Took the idea from my fiberglass aftermarket bumper. Has many of those to hold the mesh.

RE hot glue or not. Your guess is as good as mine. I bet the air filter is strong enough for a little tab but you never know. I would personally bother to use good A/B epoxy but given you degrease the housing with brake cleaner (for instance), that should ruff the ABS plastic enough so the HOT glue stick almost permanently. Dunno, not 100% sure.

I'd say epoxy if you ask me.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 09-08-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Where did you get the clips from???
Just make them yourself. I'd say any aluminum of 1-2mm thickness would do the trick. Food grade tin can maybe, anything really
Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

i have had issues with hot glue! but i have plastic mesh so it moves/twists, the metal mesh might be a better wtih hot glue, but if it acts anything like my plastic mesh AVOID IT! I have a 50% re glue ratio, and im using the industrial strength yellow stuff.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Can you get the Zunsport (UK) metal mesh clip grilles in the US? I have these and they are great and very simple to fit.

Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote