Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #1

Question Problems filling tank with gas

This may sound like a strange problem, but the past few times I have tried to put gas in my tank in my 99 Boxster, and I have problems. Even though I may run the tank close to empty, when I go to pump the fuel from the same gas station and pumps as always it will not allow the fual to enter very well. It will constantly kick the fuel off. I try barely squeezing the handle and feeding it in slowly, but it sounds like it just cannot take any more fuel, although it is nowhere near empty. Needless to say it takes forever to fill the tank. When I say slowly, I mean to the point where the fuel is barely flowing. Otherwise it wants to kick off or spit it out the hole at my hand. I tried moving the handle around in different positions, and tried different gas stations but the problem remains. I have had the car for 2 years and it just started this problem. It is as if there were something cloging the filler neck, but I have a locking gas cap and the factory cover lock as well.

porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #2

It's sort of a common problem:

Try these threads for more info:

http://986forum.com/forums/members/stunt.html
http://www.986faq.com/10-0/problems.asp#018

I know that I've seen threads on this problem at www.renntech.org also.

Good luck.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #3

I'll bet the pressure in the pumps at your gas station have been turned up to get the folks in and out quicker. The gas backs up if your filler neck has a quick turn in it and shuts the pump off because it thinks it's full. Try putting the clicker that holds the handle on in the middle position instead of the full open position and see if it helps.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #4

This is a common problem with large boats as well. The problem is high gas preassure. I dont have this problem with my car, but with my boat I keep a 1/4 inch tube and place it in the gas tank hole. This will allow it to breath, but you must remove because it will also prevent the pump from kicking off.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #5

Looking for answer???

I just had this problem when trying to fill up my tank. I even went to another station thinking the pump pressure was to blame. After doing a search on here and then being referred to renntechs forum I discovered the problem may be fuse E6. I just checked it and it was blown. It makes sense because I was trying to install an XM radio and was probing for a 12v power wire. I found this nice looking connector under the center console and tested it for power. The strange thing was when I stuck a test probe into one of the connector's my son who was watching yelled Dad telephone! I said to him, I don't hear the phone, he said No...the radio says phone! Anyway, whenever I gounded the connection "Phone" would flash on the radio. I'm guessing in all the probing I shorted it out which blew fuse E7. Funny thing is the cell phone connector shares the same fuse with a vent solenoid in the gas tank system. So when it was blown air could not escape the tank as fuel was entering. I just replaced the fuse so will head out to test this theory. Any comments before I hit the road???
arp35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #6

There's a TSB out there and I don't think it's for the "flapper". Basically, the tube to the tank gets kinked so fuel doesn't flow as quickly to the tank as it should. If you fill too quickly the kink causes the gas to back up and shuts off the pump.

Unfortunately, this problem isn't recall related so it won't be fixed free of charge out of warranty.

Since I also have this problem, I've found that not inserting the nozzle as far in and holding it "up" seems to help. You still can't pump at full speed nor leave it pumping without your hand on the handle. Naturally, the "half in nozzle" approach won't work for some of you in California or others with vapor capturing nozzles....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
There's a TSB out there and I don't think it's for the "flapper". Basically, the tube to the tank gets kinked so fuel doesn't flow as quickly to the tank as it should. If you fill too quickly the kink causes the gas to back up and shuts off the pump.

Unfortunately, this problem isn't recall related so it won't be fixed free of charge out of warranty.

Since I also have this problem, I've found that not inserting the nozzle as far in and holding it "up" seems to help. You still can't pump at full speed nor leave it pumping without your hand on the handle. Naturally, the "half in nozzle" approach won't work for some of you in California or others with vapor capturing nozzles....
Hi,

Yep, you nailed it. It's TSB 3/99 2015. Here's what it says:
  • Difficulty filling the fuel tank can occur if the flexible fuel hoses in the fuel tank obstruct the inner flap of the fuel filler neck.

And the fix:
  • Ensure the inner filler neck flap moves freely. Affix the two flexible
    hoses in the fuel tank exactly as shown in Figure 1, using two tiestraps.

The referred to flexible hoses display lateral movement which can obstruct the inner filler neck flap. By fixing them to the fuel sending unit stalk with Nylon Cable Ties, in a position where they don't obstruct the inner filler neck flap, you eliminate the issue.

Very easy DIY fix for well under $0.50 if you don't mind opening and working around the fuel tank. If so, disconnect the battery first and preferably with the tank as full as possible (realizing that this may be a challenge) to reduce the amount of fuel vapors present. Lots of ventillation and a helper with a Fire Extinguisher at hand is a good idea as well. I would estimate 30 min. repair, difficulty level 2. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

PS Ironic that a $50k Sports Car is grounded for want of a couple $0.02 Cable Ties...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-21-2006 at 05:15 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #8

This exact problem happened to use on our way out of town on Thanksgiving... except the fuel sprayed all over me, so had to go back home, change cloths and cars.

Anyone have any tips on where you access the fuel tank to get to the tubes that slip down. Can you access the tank in the front truck, under the plastic covers by the windshield? Ive already verified the vent solenoid is opperating when engaging the little flapper valve at the fill port, so suspect its the tubes mentioned in this thread.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

David
David Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #9

Can anyone give me a tip on how to get to the top of the fuel tank to tie back the hoses that apparently get in the way of the fuel filler valve?

David
David Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Yes!!! This is the answer I was looking for. I was driving around town today, gas gauge dropping below 1/4 tank. I finally stopped to fill up and wish I had done it earlier before I discovered that it would not accept fuel. Same problem, I installed the Blau Ipod adapter (the one that plugs into the CD Changer slot on the back of the Becker) and used the power source from the same phone power cable under the center console. After reading this post I found that I too had blown a fuse (on my 2002 it was the E6 fuse not the E7 fuse) Replaced the fuse and all is good. I have a full tank again. But what to do now. I stocked up on the 7.5 fuse for the next time it blows but I'd rather fix the problem and not patch it.

Anyone know how to fix this? Should I find another power power supply for the ipod adapter? Is it not grounded properly? I grounded the black wire from the adapter to a bolt behind the stereo? Does the grounding wire from the phone power source (green and red wire) need to be connected to anything? Will I continue to blow this fuse if I leave it all hooked up as is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp35
I just had this problem when trying to fill up my tank. I even went to another station thinking the pump pressure was to blame. After doing a search on here and then being referred to renntechs forum I discovered the problem may be fuse E6. I just checked it and it was blown. It makes sense because I was trying to install an XM radio and was probing for a 12v power wire. I found this nice looking connector under the center console and tested it for power. The strange thing was when I stuck a test probe into one of the connector's my son who was watching yelled Dad telephone! I said to him, I don't hear the phone, he said No...the radio says phone! Anyway, whenever I gounded the connection "Phone" would flash on the radio. I'm guessing in all the probing I shorted it out which blew fuse E7. Funny thing is the cell phone connector shares the same fuse with a vent solenoid in the gas tank system. So when it was blown air could not escape the tank as fuel was entering. I just replaced the fuse so will head out to test this theory. Any comments before I hit the road???

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote