Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 11:17 AM   #1

3.8 987 Boxster in Excellence this month

In case you don't make a habit of reading Excellence, I would pick up the latest issue where they feature a 3.8 conversion for the 987S (Seal Grey with anthracite silver wheels). The 3.8 engine was further tweaked to a claimed 370 HP. Reviews were mixed, apparently just dropping loads of power into the car doesn't feel natural in the Boxster. The tuners are also working on 3.8 Cayman as we speak.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:00 PM   #2

There is another thread on this topic also.

Thanks

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #3

I think the other thread is about the RUF project car, This new issue reviews the Sportec (of Supercharging fame) Boxster. And unlike the RUF car, Sportec keeps their car looking basically stock (except for the wheels, brakes and exhaust tips).
A tasty sleeper looking for 997's to eat.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #4

I read that and I don't recall them being "mixed" in the review--I thought they said it was great with the added power and retained the neutral handling that we all know and love, even with the bigger wheels and tires.

The one thing that miffed me at the end was their statement that their "weapon of choice" has shifted and now they just want to see what Sportec can do with the Cayman. Gee, thanks for writing us off, guys, and for doing it right in an article about our cars. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #5

I will look for this new article.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #6

I guess it was more of a knock on the engine than the Boxster itself.

"..overbraked for its performance and weight...its just the frustration that even this mighty 3.8-liter flat six fails to acclerate the SP370 as well as these (uprgraded) brakes can stop it-making the mix feel subjectively unbalanced."
all that money and time and they still aren't satified because the brakes are TOO GOOD???

Who is driving this car???

I guess maybe its a case of less bark than bite?

Really now, if a 3.8 huge by P-Car historical standards still leaves driver yearning then what's the point of adding the "power game" to the Boxster equation.

THE BOXSTER IS NOT A TOP FUEL FUNNY CAR!!!
I think I'm going to have to write Excellence a letter on this one. Please no more reviews unless you (or a pro) have tracked the car. Hopefully we'll see this project car making an appearance in another magazine like Road and Track.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-04-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #7

Goobs of horsepower is great dont get me wrong... I just believe with 370 HP, the Boxster would have a hard time hooking up. I cant stand that axle hop from time to time. I have owned cars with more horsepower than my 01S and honestly, with my modest mods.. ie. intake, exhaust, I am not power hungry at all.

It seems that if you are going to spend the money on a 3.8 swap, buy a 911 cab and keep your warranty! Just my humble opinion.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #8

It's not all about hooking up off the line though, in fact that's the least of the reasons why I'd want a 3.8 L.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #9

911 Cab? pfft...
just kidding. But I read a scathing Brittish review of the 997 Cab in which it was reported that a professional driver promptly returned his 997 Cab (which replaced his previous 996 Cab) after putting up with an unnerving rear axle condition during cornering.
They concluded that you will never get Boxster handling out a 997 minus the roof and pillars. Cabs are very nice and go very fast but at the heart of it is a compromised Sports car. Which is why we have the BOxster. Never mind all that "cheaper Porsche talk" The Boxster: after the diagrams were done, the Porsche dudes were informed that the car would cost not less than $80K to make. Obviously budget wasn't a big enough initial consideration otherwise they wouldn't have had to call in some Japanese production and assembly experts to tell them how to bring down the cost of Porsche's first full blooded convertible.
actually it may be the only full blooded convertible, Not sure if the CGT was intended to be LeMans Racer with open cockpit or not.

p.s.
I always find it interesting to see how many used Cab's are being sold vs tin tops. Dare I say most Porsche owners of these car want to look cool rather than test the "there is no subsitute" mantra?

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-04-2006 at 03:44 PM.