Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 03:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
That would be difficult to install without cracking the "clear bra paint" and cutting the clear bra with a razor blade.
Also to answer your question, no painted clear bra available. That would be a bad idea because you would have to match the clear bra paint with the car paint without looking like the car had a bad paint job.
Well, it's done and I like it. Here are several pics on a nice sunny day. You have to feel for the line. I had to take several pics to get a good look at it. They did a great job painting it as well.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:09 AM   #22

Hi,

There is an alternative to both the Clear Bra and the Traditional one. it's called Mag Bra. This is some precision pre-cut synthetic magnetic material which sticks to the Hood by magnetism.

They claim it won't ride up in speeds exceeding 120MPH. Check it out at: www.magbra.com

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #23

I had seen those. My problem was it did nothing for Urethane painted surfaces. They also need to be removed when wet (?) as I recall.

Bottom line....our 'babies' stay neat and clean....if left covered in a shop. Otherwise there will be wear & tear!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
On the other hand, if you are going to track (driver's ed, autocrosses, etc.) you may have no choice but to use a clear bra, as PCA for example will not let you run with a conventional bra on the car.
Ronzi: I have used both Colgan and Porsche full vinyl bras at numerous PCA DEs at Road Atlanta with no objections. Unless they've recently enabled a national rule, I think this might be a chapter by chapter rule. Peachstate PCA has never objected.

BTW, a little 3m painters tape under the leading edge of the hood and on the fenders helps prevent minor scrapes from bra vibration. Also, I have seen magbras fly off at track speeds, and they also tend to collect dirt underneath and can scratch if you're not careful

Last edited by Chris C Atlanta; 02-12-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #25

clear bra

My wife has had a clear bra on her Mini COoper for about 2 yrs now, and it is great. Her car is red, and the clear bra is very difficult to see unless you are looking for it. SInce that front end is not very aero, it get more bugs and debris impact than any of our cars will, and it has held up well. It cleans up nicely, and has protected well so far. I'm considering one for the Box, but I'm reluctant because it's white and I want to see a white car with the clear bra before I decide

mtch is offline   Reply With Quote