Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #1

Hi from Manila

Hi all,

My name is mike and im a businessman from Manila Philippines

I bought a 2004 silver boxster base last february from the president of PGA, the philippine porsche exclusive distributor. The car is in great physical shape, this guy has tons of vehicles including a carrera gt, so the boxster has been sitting in his garage which explains the very low 6800km odometer when i acquired it. (Will post pictures later)

PGA performed its basic yearly maintenance before handing the car over to me. And my golly the car runs great which makes my weekends in the last 4 months something to look forward to as i dont use it as my DD.

Upon lurking in the this forum i learned that low mileage is not a "full advantage" for buying a used vehicle because of the "sitting" factor; and a lot more else in terms of boxster maintenance and modification.

I dont know if i got worked up by reading the forums everyday hehe but i feel/see little things to improve in the car (non normal vibration, a little rattle in the suspension in uneven roads, moisting of the trunk on top of coolant reservoir cap etc) thus i want to replace parts (suspension, engine mounts, water pump) etc to restore it to its standard performance.

I dont want to course everything to PGA because they charge an arm and a leg for parts and labor so i want to import the supplies myself since i already found a reliable porsche mechanic to save on cost.

Can you guys recommend an online porsche parts supplier in asia? Pelican and suncoast seems great but the shipping price is very high because of their location.

Thank you so much! This forum makes owning a boxster more fun.

PS: my neighbor bought a 2013 toyota GT86 and keeps b*tching at my car. I think its a nice car also but way out of the league of even a base boxtser. Can you fill me with reasons why our car is better than the gt86 so i can shut him up hehehe.

Pedrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #2

Garage
Why the Boxster is better...

First of all, welcome to the site. Get some pics up, we love our pics!!!

As for why the Boxster is better than the 86.... Here is a write up that I linked from the 86 forum
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37779

A stripped cayman was still rated better than top of the line GT86. Now add the drop top, and the Boxster is that much better.

I read another article one, can't find it now, that compared a brand new GT86 to a 2000 Base Boxster and the Boxster came out on top. So thirteen years later and the Boxster still wins?!

Of course the final "shut up" would be...Imitation is the highest form of flattery, and they made the GT86 to LOOK like a Porsche!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
2001 Boxster S

Hello Pedrof!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Boxster! Congrats on your very fresh unit!

I'm afraid that even with shipping, pelican parts is still cheaper than sources in Singapore. Some have mentioned HK as a possible source of cheaper parts but I have yet to find an online source based in HK.

PS: I also debated about getting a brand new Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 and a pre-loved Boxster. I think it's a good car and I would absolutely love owning one...if I were back in college! Besides, in a few years, it would just be another rice boy racer.

D
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #4

pedrof....
I get my parts from Design 911 UK out of Essex in the UK.

I've been using them for years & send the spare parts to me here in Australia. The parts usually arrive in less than a week after ordering. Never had a miss, prices are good and their website is easy to go through.

Send me a PM if you want me to forward to you their latest online catalogue....
Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #5

[/IMG]

Above are the pics of my car (not sure if i posted the links correctly)

@coffinhunter - nice read thanks!
@dgnarvs- actually the gt86 looks odd for him because he is already 50 years old heheh
@stevetinker- yes i would love to have the link and catalogue ty
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #6

Another view, first post in wrong format

Last edited by Pedrof; 06-27-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
2001 Boxster S

Very nice pics! Love the arctic silver...same color as mine! Hehe!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Your car looks so mint! New even. As for comparing the gt86 I'd say it's a waste of time- older to warrantied, Porsche to Toyota, convert. to not, true mid-engine to fr mid engine, THOROUGHBREED TO NOT, racing heritage to not (much). The 86 is a modern, efficient, rear driver aimed at the youth and the drifting folks. The Porsche isn't. It's a 'high end' product designed with sporting dynamics as it's primary goal and is a luxury purchase that doesn't make sense. I can appreciate both and am a fan and current owner of some Toyota's but have learned (through test driving) that Porsche does some things better. If you really want to settle this drive each other's car, on a nice sunny day! PS - I have driven both.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

Pedrof - PM sent
Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

My friends 2013 boxster S freshly delivered. Mine says welcome!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #11

Thanks woodsman, a lot of potential since it has been sitting for a while. What i like about what you said is "its a luxury purchase that doesn't make sense". That is what the wife said heheh
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #12

ya I'll bet! How about this: the Porsche's about PASSION, the Toyota's about dollars and cents.