Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #1

Garage
Successful V8 Boxster?

Was doing some research and stumbled upon this:

As you can imagine, I'm pretty excited! I think this trumps the Audi A8 V8 conversion, and blows the Subaru boxer engines away! For a few years ls conversions have been discussed but bare no fruit. I read about the ls conversion in a 996 a while back and stumbled upon this.

Discuss!:dance:

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #2

nice finally done. renegade has been talking about this for a while. gonna be expensive (prolly similar to their 996 conversion, where you can find a price list on their website). from what i understand there is not enough room for the LS accessory drives in the 986/996 engine compartment, so you need an electric power steering pump and remote water pump - solves two of the issues with the porsche motors, but adds to the cost ...

otherwise, uncertain why they were slower to market with the 986 conversion than the 996, but *suspect* that there is even less room in the boxster engine compartment; i wouldn't be surprised if some cutting of the front bulkhead is required for the conversion as well.

also, in the 996 info on their website they talk about ecu integration, but it isn't noted in their price list; odd given that is the fundamental aspect of any engine conversion (even between porsche engines of different years).

it is excellent to have the option, however.

Last edited by The Radium King; 09-30-2012 at 07:18 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Almost ready for prime time. A few weeks ago Scott brought out his 996 conversion which is pretty dialed in now. All the instruments work like a stock car (with 430hp) and the aftermarket PS pump is SWEET and very reasonably priced. A good alternative for any track car. Scott is a safety fanatic so he won't build it if a firewall has to be compromised. I can't wait to turn a few laps in this LS Boxster.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #4

Wonder what effect this will have on the price of good used G86/20's and axles Not sure I would be dumping the clutch like that but I guess they have to test the car like their customers will.

I know how much work it takes to convert a car like this, so to Renegade for making it happen.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #5

Garage
Well, now I know what I'm doing if my IMS bearing ever eats my engine.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #6

I'm still waiting for kcpaz to come out with a street kit. I'll take the 4 banger over the ls any day.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
I'm still waiting for kcpaz to come out with a street kit. I'll take the 4 banger over the ls any day.
To each his own. I'm open minded to anything with more power than stock engine, it's the fact that kits take so long for their release after publication that blows. On a cost effective basis, I'd rather have a $3,000 engine with more horsepower than the 3.4/3.6 which starts at $6,000 if you're lucky.

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 09-30-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
it's the fact that kits take so long for their release after publication that blows.
It takes a lot of money and time to produce a kit that's actually worth buying, especially if the prototyping and testing is being funded on the shop owner's own dime. On top of that, the whole thing is a bit of a gamble and there's always the chance that nobody will be interested in buying the kit when you're done.

Personally, I've been developing my "kit" for two years now, and testing the "prototype" for the last 10 months, but making conversion kits is not my primary business, so yeah, it does take some time to do it right while still fulfilling commitments to paying jobs.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
still plays with cars...

Garage
Gotta admit, a small-block V8, gobs of torque and a lightweight, compact Boxster to shoehorn it all into... what a rush that would be. You'd have a permagrin like Kenny Bernstein.
And, if you managed to blow up that V8, it'd likely be cheaper/easier to find a replacement, too.
Sure, cross-brand Frankenstein cars like this will infuriate loyalists, but if it's your car, and the IMS monster has reared its ugly head, would you not want to have this as another option besides gambling on a used M96?
Guys have been talking about a V8 Boxster swap kit for a good while now, congrats to Renegade for making it happen.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
It takes a lot of money and time to produce a kit that's actually worth buying, especially if the prototyping and testing is being funded on the shop owner's own dime. On top of that, the whole thing is a bit of a gamble and there's always the chance that nobody will be interested in buying the kit when you're done.

Personally, I've been developing my "kit" for two years now, and testing the "prototype" for the last 10 months, but making conversion kits is not my primary business, so yeah, it does take some time to do it right while still fulfilling commitments to paying jobs.
+1. Even those that's primary business is making kits takes a lot of time and resources. It's not the kit developer that disgruntles me rather, but the inner kid waiting for Christmas effect upon seeing the newest toys.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #11

action: 7th st Oakland CA

hoezee is offline   Reply With Quote