Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Marty S
Clutch pedal pressure

This is my first Porsche with a manual transmission. I test drove several early model Boxster's before settling on the 99 that I purchased a few weeks ago. One common trait I noticed was the stiffness of the clutch pedal. Several felt like I was pushing a rock through a block wall. The car I ultimately purchased, was not quite as hard but when compared to my Audi TT, VW GTI, or my 500 - it is really stiff.

Is this common amongst Boxster's or a clear sign the clutch is getting ready to go or needs some adjustment?

The car is a 99 Boxster with 72K miles. I am the 6th owner, but the car was maintained by the same independent shop for its entire life and I have a complete maintenance history.

Thanks

Marty S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I think that this is generally normal. A lot of people notice this and have commented on it:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35443-stiff-clutch-clutch-replace-q.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/37300-2003-boxster-s-extremely-stiff-clutch.html

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/6582-extra-stiff-clutch-question.html

Compared to my Porsche 996, BMW 325i, Mini Cooper S, and Miata, the Boxster's clutch is by far the stiffest of all.

Of course, its hard to gauge "stiffness" over the internet and impossible to know if your car is well beyond normal stiffness, but if the shop thinks it ok, you're probably ok.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #3

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Marty S
Thanks...no doubt, this is a subjective question. I spoke to the tech who did the last service in April and he felt it was fine. Sounds like it is a common trait.
2102 Fiat 500 Sport
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Marty S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

Well, the first time I test drove my boxster the clutch was very stiff. But it losened up on the drive home from the dealer. I've had no complaints and feel my daughter (age 16) could learn on this clutch because it is so easy to push in/out and the egangement point it very definitive.

I have seen many comments that if your clutch is hard to depress that it may have had the helper spring removed or the clutch is going bad. Of course, as far as I can tell mine is all OEM components. Yours could be different.