Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Boxster Special Red Seats

Has anyone came across, or been able to find a place that sells replacement seat covers specifically for the boxster and specifically in the special red leather (circa 01ish)

My drivers seat is whooped. Extremely worn and dirty. I have scrubbed these seats with all types of cleaners- from leather cleaner to orange citrus cleaners, and nothing will touch them- mainly the drivers seat.

Should I just go to an upholstery shop and see if they can recover them with a close match? I'd really prefer to have the exact stuff

Thanks!

2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

The color is called Boxster Red. It's also called Boxster Red in the Carrera interiors for 1999-2004 996's.

I think there are a few small vendors who do custom interior work for the 928. They should be able to point you towards some suggestions.
Porsche 928 Interior Restoration

You can also try dying the leather so that the creases are so noticeable, but that fix is only temporary. I believe Leatherique has a kit.

A third option is to simply cover the seats with the Wet Okole wet suit material covers. I had them in black on a previous convertible and most people could barely tell they were covers. Wet Okole sell them in Porsche specific cuts with piping options. The light grey ones might look nice in a red interior, assuming your car is silver.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-14-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #3

Garage
Or you can go this route...

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01S View Post
Has anyone came across, or been able to find a place that sells replacement seat covers specifically for the boxster and specifically in the special red leather (circa 01ish)

My drivers seat is whooped. Extremely worn and dirty. I have scrubbed these seats with all types of cleaners- from leather cleaner to orange citrus cleaners, and nothing will touch them- mainly the drivers seat.

Should I just go to an upholstery shop and see if they can recover them with a close match? I'd really prefer to have the exact stuff

Thanks!
Slip on Seat covers on a Porsche, really?
Have you tried leatherique re-dye products? check them out, you can prob restore them to factory look. (see videos). Alot of my Ferrari friends have used this product and swears by it.

http://www.leatherique.com/u-tube-video-on-bmw.html

Last edited by soucorp; 06-15-2013 at 03:55 AM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #5

Garage
Saw these on the *bay...might be something to look into....
1997 2004 Porsche Boxster Leather Upholstery Seat Covers 996 Black Red | eBay

Not sure of the quality so might take some checking into.
drew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

I was going to use these guys @ $700 ...

Porsche Boxster 986 1997 2003 Replacement Leather Seat Covers Upholstery | eBay

If you prefer vinyl I thought about these @ $350 (before I found the leather ones) ...

Porsche Boxster 97 98 99 00 01 02 Vinyl Seat Covers | eBay
Old 06-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

I bought these for 2 of my 944's. They will look great. I did vinyl, but I'm sure the leather is even better.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #8

Being curious, I decided to check out the manufacturer web site for the eBay auction I purchased earlier and found they have a sale on. $400 for a set of leather repalcement covers. Here's the direct link if you are interested ...

Porsche Boxster Replacement Upholstery & Accessories | AutoBerry.com

If I didn't have my aniversary/vacation lined up for the end of the month I'd jump on a set now.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It seems the $400 covers are vinyl.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Ah, I see I didn't read the fine print (i.e. add it to a cart). You are correct. $400 for the fake leather or $700 for the real stuff.

Well that makes me feel a bit better as I now I don't have to consider a chocie of where to spend my money (vacation or car). I can pick up a set of the covers anytime down the road.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #11

Garage
Not sure how bad your seat is but mine was worn and cracked on the side you slide over to get in and out of the car. I considered a 'do it yourself' kit but ended up using the local fibrenew.com franchise. They did a great job. Filled the cracking. Spent an hour color matching the seat and recolored it. The seat looks like new. I highly recommend them. For the repairs on the seat, it only cost $150.00. They told me horror stories about the aftermarket crap that some people have put on their seats. Good luck!
dbazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #12

Thanks for all the responses! I did not intend to sound like I wanted to simply slip on a seat cover over the seat (although that tweety bird is damn sexy), but replace the existing seat material (in the dealership world its called a seat cover). Seems as though I can't get it through Porsche, and the only online ones I could find were vinyl. I think I am going to take the seats out and bring them to a auto upholstery shop nearby and have them quote me on a repair/dye.

I'll keep this thread posted with what I decide and pics before/after!
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #13

^ I went down that road once too. As soon as those private upholstery shops see a Porsche coming up the driveway they see dollar signs. I honestly think paying the $700 for the leather might end up being the cheapest route.
Even with my last convertible I was shocked how expensive some of the quotes for installing aftermarket leather seat covers were. Assuming they have to do this task quickly at the factory/assembly line, how time consuming can it be... it's not like a custom job or anything. Everything is pre-cut and measured already.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote