Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #21

I don't see that anyone said the FM transmitter won't work...?

Old 01-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #22

I used the IPOD FM transmitter once.

JUNK

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I don't see that anyone said the FM transmitter won't work...?
Ah.. I guess I read that wrong the first time. my bad.
jangobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #24

I too have an '05 Boxster 987 and am waiting for the MOST bus plug in.

I'm almost 40 and have been an Apple basher for years. All show and no go! Well, I finally caved and bought a 60Gig video iPod this Christmas (I don't give a crap about the video part) because my Porsche dealer wanted $1600 to add a cd changer. $1600 and still crappy speakers and no subwoofer? Fuggedaboutit.

Also, I have no need to download as I have several hundred cd's and several hundred albums I would like to transfer. Given the huge size of the 60gig iPod (if you keep pictures off of it) I can afford to record everything in Apple Lossless instead of MP3 so I still get cd quality sound--nice, I didn't know that was an option when I bought it, I thought I was going to be stuck with MP3.

iTunes is easy enough. I'm working at the computer and I just slide a cd in. It starts copying automatically and beeps when it is done. I don't even have to look at it and it runs in the backgroud. Every few disks I just plug in the iPod and everything copys automatically--all in the background. Sweet.

I've learned there is a great option to hardwire it into my Phaeton's sound system and EVENTUALLY there will be a MOST bus solution for our new P cars too.

In the mean time, I read everything I could on FM transmitters and the ones that run off of iPod power are to be avoided. In addition to plugging in to the lighter they should have endlessly variable channel selection to make sure you can get a clear station. And get one that transfers via the main cradle plug on the bottom not the headphone jack.

From what I can tell, the latest and greatest is the latests generation of DLO's (Digital Lifestyle Outfitters) TransPod. I ordered mine from the company in black but they also sell the silver and white ones at Target. About $90 - $100. It got the CNET editors choice award and by all repports comes the closest to giving you actually clear static free transmission.

I'll report back when I get it in a few days.

And I don't make fun of iPods anymore because with the lossless recording it is truly like having my entire music collection in my hand with no downside. Sweet.
faterikcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #25

"And I don't make fun of iPods anymore because with the lossless recording it is truly like having my entire music collection in my hand with no downside. Sweet. "

Indeed!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote