Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 04:40 AM   #1

PrePurchase Questions

As I am sure these questions have been asked before if people could just provide location pointers or key words for searches, I would be very appreciative (of course don't let that stop from anyone actually answering the questions )

I hope to realize a dream of mine to own a Porsche. I live in eastern PA and found a nice red/black 99 Boxster in the Doylestown area with 43,000 miles on it. If I buy it, I would replace my 92 Miata with it and use the car for weekend pleasure driving only. My questions are as follows:

1) Does anyone know someone I can call to go and mechanically inspect the car? I would never know what to look for. I found some internet based companies that do this, but they just test drive, inspect the outside/inside. All things that I have already done. What I need is for someone to look at the engine, drivetrain, frame.

2) What are the "gotchas" on this car. I heard about the top cable, but was that for 99 cars?

3) I will be paying 20K for this car. Is that a fair price? Its an internet type dealer that sells highline, used, German, cars (MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi). You should see their inventory!!!

4) In your opinion, what will this car be worth 4 years from now with an extra 20,000 miles on it. I ask this since I'm curious as to what the expected depreciation is. I don't expect to sell it, however I want to have an idea about what I can get out of the car should my financial circumstances change and I need the cash back. What can I say? I am a very risk averse person (who rides a motorcycle ), and wants to make sure if things goe south with my job I can get cash back out of the car.

5) Antyhing else I should be asking?

Thanks
Rob

rteichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:17 AM   #2

I am a used Porsche dealer. This is what I recommend.

Do not buy any car over the Internet without inspecting it yourself.

Have the car inspected PRIOR to purchase by a Porsche dealer. A full inspection will cost about $200 and run from the bottom of the tires to the top of the convt top.

Run a Car Fax.

Make sure the dealer performs a check with a paint meter.

Have the dealer run a warranty claim history on the car.

Ask the seller for any service records they may have.

This is a good start.

Good luck.

PS-no one knows the value of your car into the future. Our guess is as good as yours.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:56 AM   #3
bmussatti

rteichman, good luck on your future new purchase! My only advice is make sure you wear a helmet when you ride your motorcycle!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:01 AM   #4

Excellent advice as usual Bruce. I would just caution our new friend rteichman
not to be too super sensitive to minor cosmetic paint and bodywork. As long as it is done properly, there shouldn't be any issues. He is looking at a 99 car. Not old by any means, but been around for a few years. I will qualify this by saying that I run a large collision facility in NJ. Definately suggest the mechanical inspect as he is getting a 43k mile car.

I purchased my car from Brandywine Porsche near him and would strongly recommend those guys. Excellent dealership. Great parts department and guys that really love and appreciate the Boxster. The same day I purchased my car, a gentileman was there trading in a Bently buying a Cayenne Turbo and a Carrera GT. I felt like I was treated as well as he... even though I spent about 1/10 th what he did.

I am sure Brandywine's service department would be happy to inspect the car.. for a nominal fee. If you are truely set on having the body inspected, there is a premier collision facility in King of Prussia called Karosserie that people from all over the country come to for repairs. The owners name is Dick Von Medicus and they may be able to inspect the car for any type of bad prior repairs.

Well, best of luck on your purchase!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
rteichman, good luck on your future new purchase! My only advice is make sure you wear a helmet when you ride your motorcycle!
I always do !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Do not buy any car over the Internet without inspecting it yourself.

Have the car inspected PRIOR to purchase by a Porsche dealer. A full inspection will cost about $200 and run from the bottom of the tires to the top of the convt top.
While it is an "Internet Dealer" they are not far from my house, and I did drive down there, look the car over, and took it for a nice test drive. I sould never by a car without checking it out myself and can't understand how anyone would.

Do all Porsche dealers offer this service? There is one about 10 miles away from the used car dealer, and I can have it taken there. I travel for work, and thus am never around during the week. Can I safely arrange for the seller to take the car to the dealer and then get the report from the dealer? I would obviously ask the dealer to check the VIN number so as to ensure he is looking at the car I am buying. Also, I think this used car dealer has a close relationship with the local Porsche dealer. Will the dealer give me an honest appraisal?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:26 AM   #6

Good advice Audio Guy.

As a personal purchase, I would not automatically rule out a car that had been rapped. However, I would want to know about it so that I could negotiate the price down and of course, if it were a bad rap, if it were repaired correctly.

As an example, I had a 911 that had been rapped. I took it to my suspension guy and it HAD NOT been repaired correctly, it was a mess.

Even though the car LOOKED great, it went back to the auction the next week.

Such is life!

Old 12-31-2005, 06:45 AM   #7

What's rapped?

Also the dealer close by is Holbert's Porsche. Is there service dept OK?

Rob
Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman
What's rapped?

Also the dealer close by is Holbert's Porsche. Is there service dept OK?

Rob

Rapped=in an accident.

I don't know that dealer but any Porsche dealer should be able to do a credible job on this service.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:26 AM   #9

Hi,

Good Advice so far, but realize that Car Prices vary considerably by Region and for some Cars, by Season as well. Having said that, I believe that $20K for a '99 Boxster is too high. I would expect it to be about $3k - $4k under that price.

My reasoning for this is:

a.) I bought a One-Owner '99 Boxster, Leather Interior, 18" Turbo Twists w/ 85% P-Zero's, Body-colored Roll Bars, CD Changer, New Battery, New Floormats, Full Wind Stop kit, Fresh Oil Change, 1 Yr./12k mi. Warranty, w/ 17k mi. in MINT condition (Visually, Service History, and PPI confirmed) from a Broker in STL in April '05 for $17,000 (they were asking $22k),

b.) This Car you're looking at is another year older, and much higher mileage,

c.) It's a convertible and is currently Out of Season for the East Coast, so it's price should reflect this.

Personally, assuming the Car itself checks out, I would start by offering them $16,500 and go to a high of $18,000. Don't automatically walk away should they refuse, tell them that you'll honor your price on THIS car for 7 days. If you have not heard from them in that time, call them on the 7th day and restate your offer. Then either close the deal or walk away. The one thing this World is not short of are used Boxsters. If this one doesn't work, then another WILL come along and when it does, it will be the Perfect Car for you. Emotional Attachment and Anticipation of an Individual Car is the Greatest Enemy of Used Car Buyers - something many Dealers count on. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:38 AM   #10

One of the easier ways to figure out REAL prices is by using Autotrader.com.

Using the advanced search function, you can quickly find comp values on the car you are looking at. Assuming that there is some negotiation possible, look for the cars that are closest to what you are looking for and assume that you can buy that car for say $1000 less.

Then start negotiating. The Book Values on cars are often very very off what real street prices are. This is especially true for most Porsche models and certainly, tied to location and time of year.

IE Buying a Box in Boston right now should be a good deal from the BUYERS persective.

Deals in Florida or CA are not quite as sweet.,

Hope that helps.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:51 AM   #11

Top drive problems were 1997-1999 and then the design was changed in 2000. Most older local cars I have seen have already been fixed.

My local dealer charges 2 hours for a pre purchase inspection @ $145 per hour.

Any dealer can get you the warranty records for work done on the car from the VIN. For service records you have to go to the dealer that did the work, if that information is known.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
I would expect it to be about $3k - $4k under that price.
a.) I bought a One-Owner '99 Boxster, Leather Interior, 18" Turbo Twists w/ 85% P-Zero's, Body-colored Roll Bars, CD Changer, New Battery, New Floormats, Full Wind Stop kit, Fresh Oil Change, 1 Yr./12k mi. Warranty, w/ 17k mi. in MINT condition (Visually, Service History, and PPI confirmed) from a Broker in STL in April '05 for $17,000 (they were asking $22k),
Wow you got a great deal. I looked at Autotrader with a 300 mile radius and the best I found was an $18k for a higher mileage car. Cars.com had the lowest price at $19.5k for the same milage with abouth the same average price. I should mention that the one I am looking at has the stability control, sport package, and 18" wheels. From autotrader it looks like the Avg is $22k with that also being the mean price. Its also (Guard?) Red which does not seem to be too common a color (is that good or bad)?

Last edited by rteichman; 12-31-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #13

OK I looked around and it seems like the best I can find is $18,000 for a similar car. Also how much should being the 3rd owner affect the price? The dealer is happy to take it over to Porsche for a complete inspection and has all the paperwork from the car (it was bought and maintained by that dealer)

I know $2k is a lot of money (actually 2.5k), but there is the convenience factor and I will get beter records on the car. How much was the roof cable again? The other cars I have found for 18k don't seem to have that repaired although it might have been done by the original owner.

Last edited by rteichman; 01-04-2006 at 05:28 AM.