Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Redmond's Boxster

Garage
HELP BROWN SPONGE coming from air con vents

Hi guys,

Weather my air con is on hot or cold, it spits out every now and then black/brown sponge, they are small but some are pretty large. Just wondering who else has had this problem as it is a pain having to Hoover my car a lot more!!
Thanks!

Redmond Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #2

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/37796-foam-coming-through-my-air-vents.html
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #3

Searching for the search button
Pedrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Now that you know what is going on with all the foam bits coming out of the vents, here is a way to get rid of a lot of it without taking apart anything. The small bits are what can get through the vent openings, but there are a lot more of them in the system that are too big and won't come out until they break apart more. Turn on the fans at full speed and look into the vent grills, you will see large pieces of foam trapped behind them. Use a piece of wire with a hook bent on the end to pull the pieces through. There will be a large amount of pieces trapped behind the defroster vents at the base of the windshield. You can stand outside of the car, looking through the windshield, and see these easily from that vantage point. Just reach in and fish those pieces out with the wire and then have fun cleaning up all the mess that gets all over the interior.
I'm sure my A/C and heater don't work as well anymore without the vents sealing properly, but Seattle has a fairly mild climate. It doesn't get that hot or cold here.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 06-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote