Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #1

ignition switch gets difficult to turn with key

03 s-have to turn steering wheel more often to unlock key.i have read this is a common failure and may lead to being stuck, unable to turn key.my question is, after removing igniton tumbler and replacing ,do ihave to get key recoded?also what is audi part #,as ive read this is cheaper than porsche.

rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

Garage
You don't need to remove the tumbler. IIRC you just replace the switch. I have an extra on hand, but mine has yet to fail. I think I got it at suncoast for around $30 a couple of years ago. Do a search, as this is a common problem and good luck!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Sean is exactly right. I believe that Porsche sells only the complete ignition switch and tumbler, but the part that fails is the switch itself. It is Audi part number 4A0 905 849 B and should be available at any VW/Audi dealership. The part isn't expensive, but replacement can be a back-breaker. I just had mine replaced and was billed 1.4 hours labour - worth every penny for someone with a couple of herniated discs!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

what about replacing -recoding key
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #5

so what i understanf is that i change the electrical switch under dash,leave tumbler in place and thus have use of my original key.is this right
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

Garage
No need to recode or replace the key. It's plug and play!

SouthernStar, I only have one herniated disc so I would still attempt it myself. Aren't they fun? I think, without looking it up, that mine is L4 (lower back)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

on my old mercedes diesel the tumbler is replaced when key gets sticky,wonder why this is not the case with my porsche.?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #8

Because typically, rosenfe, what causes 'stickiness' and a myriad of seemingly unrelated electrical problems on these cars is the ignition switch and not the metal tumblers. Perhaps someone has had to replace the tumblers, but in virtually evey case the problem is the switch. Its a weak point on these cars but fortunately, not an expensive fix.

Brad
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #9

Garage
I've had two Merc. diesels. Both 123 series. Wonderful cars. Just replace the electrical switch and go from there. That should be all you need to do. When they go bad they do wacky things. My uncle had a '00 base that was doing the same thing. He took it to a stealership and they replaced the whole mechanism and it didn't fix a thing. Then he took it to an indy and they replaced the electrical switch and if fixed it!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

thanks for all the responses,will go ahead and replace switch.no herniated dics so far
Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #11

Glad to hear it rosenfe. And seanZ4, with a herniated L4 are you sure you want to crawl under the dash to remove and re-install the vent and the switch with its tiny screws? I mean, even with the seat removed, it struck me as a recipe for some painkillers and anti-inflammatories!

Brad
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

Garage
Southernstar, you're probably right. It's (the herniated disc) is ok now, but it doesn't take much to make it flair-up. I'm pretty thin for an old guy so I can still get into tight enough spaces to get into trouble :-) When it happened to me I was out in Vegas and still had to fly home. It was the most painful experience in my life. Ouch.