Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #1

Garage
Body trim adjustment

Hey guys,
this has been driving me nuts for quite a while. The small body trim piece on the left side of my car stands proud of the clam shell & body work & I can't figure out how to get it to sit flush. I haven't been to aggressive with so as not to damage anything.
any suggestions?

Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #2

Its not a trim piece, but the clamshell that appears to be out of alignment. I've never had to play with mine so I can't help you on that. Wat the car in an accident previously?
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

Garage
The clamshell is fine, it sits flush all the way around. The corresponding small piece on the right side sits perfect but the left sits a bit high. I will try to get some better pictures posted.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #4

It looks like the clamshell "tips" are stopping too far down. You adjust the stops underneath a few clicks at a time until the shell is level. You may want tips a hair below the "tab" piece so that you don't get them whistling in the airstream.

The stops look like black plastic strips underneath the shell tips. As I recall you slide and click them to raise or lower the stop position. You can get to them with the shell up in service position

One day I had some garage time and started fiddling...sorry I can't refer you to a manual peocedure
Old 05-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Time to get the hammer out!
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Garage
that was my first thought too but figured to go careful in case I broke something as expensive as an anatomical appendage
Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

The body - colored painted metal piece fits into two depressions in the black metal piece below. I have attached a picture with the body-colored piece removed.

(I broke this part when I was installing a used top and frame.) You can press the painted trim piece down for a better fit. Just don't use too much force.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote