Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #21

Yes sir, I realize the numbers may be a bit off. I'm not dropping the tranny until it's required, either by sufficient evidence I have a single row or the clutch needs replaced.

I can get the engine ID if it'll help my quest for more info.

Dillier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillier23 View Post
Yes sir, I realize the numbers may be a bit off. I'm not dropping the tranny until it's required, either by sufficient evidence I have a single row or the clutch needs replaced.

I can get the engine ID if it'll help my quest for more info.
VIN list are more than a bit off, they are useless in determining what style IMS bearings are in the 2000-2001 cars. We have seen very early 2000 cars with single rows in them, and some of the last 2001 engines built with dual rows in them.

The only way to know which one is in there is to take it apart and look.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #23

I think I've dug enough to find enough evidence to have at least 95% accuracy that mine is a Double Row bearing car. Engine number and serial number are both outside the ranges given by Pelican Parts and the verbiage in the IMS lawsuit.

Thanks for you help, I feel much better about this car!
Old 06-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillier23 View Post
I think I've dug enough to find enough evidence to have at least 95% accuracy that mine is a Double Row bearing car. Engine number and serial number are both outside the ranges given by Pelican Parts and the verbiage in the IMS lawsuit.
Both of which have been proven wrong over and over again. We just put an IMS Solution in a 2001 that according to your logic should have been a double row car. It wasn't.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #25

Well JFP, I suppose I'll let it go until the clutch needs replaced. In the meantime I'll cross my fingers.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:18 AM   #26

Garage
Same with me. VIN showed double row. Reality was single. Really is only one way to know.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Same with me. VIN showed double row. Reality was single. Really is only one way to know.
Was this your engine VIN or car VIN that you checked? Would be interested to know if it was your engine code.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:59 AM   #28

Being an 03 I'm sure mines a single bearing but I was curious if my car was on the list of cars included in the recall. Not sure if it means anything anyway, just curious. Maybe I'm getting foggy in my old age but I can't make sense of the lists of vins to tell if it on there or not.🙄

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ims lawsuit 2000 2001