Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Annoying rattle

My 2000 Boxster 2.7 has developed an annoying rattle in cooler temperatures. It sounds like plastic on plastic and seems to be emanating from the driver's side of the dashboard. What is interesting is that it only seems to appear when the outside ambient temperature is below about 18 degrees C (65 F). In warmer temperatures, nada. Today, for example, when I left for work at about 7:00 the temperature was only 14 celcius and the rattle appeared when the car went over any signifcant bumps/irregularites in the road. Today at lunch it had warmed up to about 22 C (72 F) and it was gone. It isn't particularly loud, but it does detract from the driving experience in what is otherwise a pretty tight car.

I suspect that it is coming from the intrument cluster and really don't want to start tearing that apart in hopes that I can find the source and stop it. On the other hand, I suppose it could also be coming from the frunk. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Suggestions?

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #2

I thought it was just me, but I've got the same kind of noise, kind of the sound you get when you flick off the turn signal, or the sound you get when the ac compressor starts up -if you were able to hear it, but mine seems to come from the passenger side dash area. And just when going over some road imperfection. And mostly when the top is down, which means a warmish day. At first I thought it was something bouncing in the glove box, but I emptied that and it's still there , occasionally. Will I tear the dash apart to find it? No. But it's at least nice to know someone else has it. Kinda like herpes I suppose. And no, I don't.
Rickinduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #3

Yowza, if it was like herpes I think we would both be ripping our dashboards apart! I mean, misery loves company, but..... Anyway, in my case it realy does just sound like a plastic on plastic rattle and not a buzz. The good news for me is that, even if no one has any suggestions, when the weather here finally warms up it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #4

Garage
SS,
I had something similar to what you describe. It took me a while to find (them). First was the plastic surround from the cover over the red flashing alarm LED light (centre/rear) on the dash. Had just worked loose and needed a firm press back in place.

After i did that i had another, this was a little toughter to locate. It turned out to be the top of the seat just touching the leather covering on the roll hoop, Just bought the seat-back up a little and bingo - sorted!

May not be of any use to you but i like talking to my brothers so i thought i'd share it anyway.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

Thanks Essex, I'll check the alarm light cover. It is definitely from the front, though, so the roll hoop is not the issue.

Cheers!

P.S. Good taste in cars, Essex! My other car is also an X3 - a 2006 2.5 with sport package.

Last edited by southernstar; 05-24-2013 at 06:51 AM. Reason: PS
Old 05-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #6

Garage
+1 on the alarm cover thing in the middle of the dash by the windshield. Mine buzzes and rattles. I just push down on it a little and it goes away for awhile. I only hear it when the top is up.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Aha ! Found my rattle. Small tube of Chapstick in the glove box. I didn't see it last time I looked. Public beating of wife takes place at 2 pm.

Rickinduncan is offline   Reply With Quote