Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Wind deflector question!

I have the mesh grilles for the head rests, I have the roll bar loop surrounds to take the deflector, I have the clip locators, I don't have the clips and I don't have the actual deflector on my car...

If I buy a pair of clips and a spurious Perspex from eBay (the seller says his plastic board does not come with the surrounds or the clips) will it slot into place with what I have? Or is there some sort of surround that goes around the actual Perspex before you offer it to the trim between the head rests?

Sorry for the vague question, I just don't really know what I need to go and buy!

Thanks

Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #2

I have an extra deflector in perfect shape if you're interested. Not sure what it's worth. PM me with an offer and I'll look into what they're bring on the market.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

Thank you. When you say deflector... do you simply mean the actual perspex piece? People refer to the "surrounds" and I cant get a handle on whether thats the actual rubbery/plasticy style surround (anchor points) that I already have... I can only assume the deflector got broken or lost or something because there definately was one there at some point. (clip locators etc.)

maybe not so clear again - sorry!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

I have the complete Porsche factory center piece. This is the Perspex piece with the mount (surround as you put it, which i don't think Porsche actually sells) attached. See number 3 in the attachment. If you've already riveted the mounts in place this would be plug and play for you...
Attached Images

Last edited by shadrach74; 05-21-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #5

ok thanks for the visual there, that actually helps me out a lot! It would seem I only need no. 3 and 2 x no. 10 (L&R clips) - I'm in the Rep. of Ireland though so shipping may be more bother than its worth for you? These can be bought from plastics companies in the UK for £25stg.

Thanks a lot though!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
ok thanks for the visual there, that actually helps me out a lot! It would seem I only need no. 3 and 2 x no. 10 (L&R clips) - I'm in the Rep. of Ireland though so shipping may be more bother than its worth for you? These can be bought from plastics companies in the UK for £25stg.

Thanks a lot though!
My pleasure. Keep an eye on eBay.co.uk...they were all over the UK when I was looking but largely absent in the states. Now it appears to be the other way around. I don't think the surround can be purchased separately (judging from the parts schematic). Most guys that buy after market deflectors affix the Perspex with screws, Velcro straps or tie wraps. Best of luck!

Cheers!

Ross

Last edited by shadrach74; 05-21-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Whippy, just wanted to add, make sure you have the plastic stud in the middle of that flat portion between the roll hoops. That's what is used to more or less line up and place the deflector so it snaps right into the points on the roll hoops. Mine sheared off, most likely just from age, one night when I was cleaning my deflector, and without that piece the only thing that would be holding your deflector in place would be the mounts on the roll hoops. They will not be enough to do the job because they're only meant to hold the deflector laterally, and you (and the wind) would be able to freely push and pull the bottom of the deflector like a doggy door. Porsche sells a kit (the silly box they put in that picture above) that has the rivets and new plastic piece you'd need to get that part replaced.

If you don't need to do that and that part's already there, then great, you're set to go. But mine really just failed out of nowhere, and I haven't been able to mount my deflector since then.

I guess if there are people out there that cut material to that shape then you may be in luck and able to save a little money that way, but I'm not sure I understand you. Do you actually have a shaped piece of black plastic that simply has no lexan in it? It doesn't show well in the image above, but the border of #3 is actually a thicker piece of black plastic that houses the center portion, which is the clear plastic. So if you're talking about just cutting a piece of clear plastic, you'll have no way of mounting it in place. But if you have that surround that's somehow missing its clear plastic, that's a different story. If you don't have the surround, it may just be better to try to find an actual replacement deflector and just pop that in.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #8

thanks a lot for that man! Yeah, there's a guy on ebay, an injection moulding company that makes replacement perspex pieces. Now, he does say that they do not come with the plastic surround... What I was asking above (very badly may I add! ) is, do you folks think the surround is what is already in the car, i.e. the bit behind the roll bar with the bottom aligning mount that you speak of above (which I have, thanks) in the middle of it or is it some kind of surround thats actually on the bottom and two sides of the perspex glass plate (the actual deflector!) ???

I'm beginning to think you are correct and its some kind of surround on the actual plate. Mmmmmm.... maybe its correct to just source a genuine OE part, maybe the one offered above is back in the picture now....

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to advise me!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #9

The surround is part of the perspex. It serves as an anti-rattle function for the perspex in its socket. You could probably build up several layers of masking tape and paint it black if cost is an issue between OEM and Ebay.

Last edited by leknus; 05-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.
leknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #10

Thank you leknus, very helpful indeed! Cost not really the issue considering I've spent way more on this little car than I actually paid for it a few weeks ago!

Ok Shadrach74.... How much you want for your extra one?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
No problem, Whippy. The only thing I was wondering is if maybe your surround was in place but missing the perspex piece, as you call it. If you can see that small stud on the bottom of the roll hoop assembly and there is nothing clipped into the holes on the roll hoops themselves, then you don't have the surround already sitting there. I've honestly never seen the clear portion separated from the surround, so if you had that it'd be quite odd to see.

Anyway, go for an OEM part if you can find one. People tend to be pretty reasonable about selling them. Unless shipping ends up being totally unreasonable, you might as well go that route and be assured you've got the right part for the job.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #12

Thanks for all the help guys, this is probably what I should have done first though! Here's what I have -

So as you see I have the centre bottom rubber locator bung and the clip housing right (in shot) and a clip housing left (out of shot) - I also have -

It was in the car when I bought it, I'm sure its not a Boxster part though (maybe S2000) as its too small to fit between the allowed area, maybe a half inch too shy on each side, interestingly though (which is throwing me...) the central lower locator bung fits into a recess on the Perspex plate perfectly. ???

So, I've a set of OE clips ordered and on their way, can you lads conform when I source and buy No. 3 in the visual above, I'm sorted???

Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #13

Whippy, let me look at my set over the weekend and we'll try and figure this out!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #14

BTW, the deflector in your pic looks like it belongs to a 987, which is why it won't fit your 986. The previous owner probably bought the wrong one...
Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
BTW, the deflector in your pic looks like it belongs to a 987, which is why it won't fit your 986. The previous owner probably bought the wrong one...
Whippy, what he said.

The 986 deflector, at least the early ones (what year is yours, btw?) has a small divot in the upper center of the glass to allow the top latch to pass by without contacting the deflector. Later versions were a straight and solid piece of glass because the top now moved high enough that there was no risk of contact. So sell the one you have to someone who needs one to take a bit of the edge off of the cost of picking up the right one for yourself.

So by your pictures you do have a deflector, just not the right one.

When you buy the deflector, it should have some small little handles on the upper right and left sides, which are what clip into the roll hoops and are what you pull, while pressing down slightly on the deflector, to release and remove it when you want to. Everything else is already in place for you.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 05-24-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #16

You guys are good - on closer inspection there is indeed a M987 code on this deflector.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Nice Adidas, btw.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Nice Adidas, btw.

Lol - thanks, I've hundreds of pairs of Orion's in all colours! Imelda Marcos wouldn't get a look in!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #19

Check your PMs!

Used Porsche Boxster 986 98-2004 Wind Deflector | eBay

This is what you need and it's much closer to you than me!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #20

Thanks a lot for the tip off man. They won't allow a purchase on there as its UK postage only but I've emailed the company directly (I know them) and hopefully they'll pop it over to me here in Ireland.

Again, thank you very much!