Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #1

Ingenuity or Cheap?

Ok guys...what do you think?

A dollar something at Lowes for a galvanized rain gutter guard and $12 for WAY to much door edge molding (I could do 5 more sets) and about 30 minutes of work.

sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #2

I like it.

Way to go!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:33 AM   #3

Looks great! but how about the cooling of the engine?

Is it affected?

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #4

Cooling is not affected at all. Actually mine is better than it was before I cleaned all the crap that had collected in there. I probably had about 25 to 30% of the radiator clogged.

I figured this would keep the stuff out of there without having to spend $110 or so for the "Professional" ones!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:23 PM   #5

Although, I am a little embarrassed at how dirty my car is in that picture...
Old 12-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #6

Great job! I will take two please. since you have enough for 5 more. haha

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #7

Great!

Any chance you could trace your final outline and post a scan of it so we poor leechers could just "cut on the dotted line" to follow you?

You may be able to find silver or grey tie wraps to make it look just that much better...
Old 12-25-2005, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
You may be able to find silver or grey tie wraps to make it look just that much better...
But the BLACK matches my car!!! Just kidding...It's a temp deal until I figure out something else. My wife and kids all said "I think it looks good but those black things have to go".

I think I can use a stainless bolt with a straight (well sort of) nut thingy on the backside that will straddle the two fins. Anyone know what thats called?
Old 12-25-2005, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkkv
Cooling is not affected at all.
Welllll... you can't really say that as you didn't test it. All you can say is that the radiator is still keeping the car cool enough. Try flogging the car through the desert during the summer and tell me how it goes.

Looks good, although I'd agree that the zip ties need to go! Some safety wire, used discreetly would probably look okay.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Cooling is not affected at all. Actually mine is better than it was before I cleaned all the crap that had collected in there. I probably had about 25 to 30% of the radiator clogged.
How did you clear the crap out of the radiator area? I saw a thread where they actually took off the whole front bumper. It looked like a rediculous amount of work. Seems like a shop vac and a skinny attachment would get the job done.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
How did you clear the crap out of the radiator area? I saw a thread where they actually took off the whole front bumper. It looked like a rediculous amount of work. Seems like a shop vac and a skinny attachment would get the job done.
That might have been my thread. There was so much junk up in there I went ahead and pulled the bumper to make sure I got it clean. It isn't hard...just time consuming!

If you don't have a bunch of junk...I'd try it with a shop vac just to see if it works.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Welllll... you can't really say that as you didn't test it. All you can say is that the radiator is still keeping the car cool enough. Try flogging the car through the desert during the summer and tell me how it goes.
OK...Let me qualify that statement: "In my totally unprofessional opinion, I think the cooling of my car is unaffected by my homemade grills...Your experience could possibly vary and you may want to check with your local dealer to verify the above opinion before attempting to install them yourself. Although, you wouldn't be installing my homemade grills because you made them...therefore you would not be relying on my opinion nor would you be using my homemade grills."

I think I need another beer...
Old 12-26-2005, 05:01 AM   #13

Quote:
OK...Let me qualify that statement: "In my totally unprofessional opinion, I think the cooling of my car is unaffected by my homemade grills...Your experience could possibly vary and you may want to check with your local dealer to verify the above opinion before attempting to install them yourself. Although, you wouldn't be installing my homemade grills because you made them...therefore you would not be relying on my opinion nor would you be using my homemade grills."

I think I need another beer...
Very funny.

I think they look great as well.
gRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:12 PM   #14
bmussatti

sdkkv, possibly you can re-install them with a few (4-6) strategically dabs of clear silicone sealant??
Old 12-26-2005, 02:51 PM   #15

Door Edge Guard

Consider some door edge guard around the screen edge -- may give a more finised look. Or you may be able to place the screen between the original plastic grill and the bumper cover to hold it in place. Just a few thoughts.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trube78
Consider some door edge guard around the screen edge -- may give a more finised look. Or you may be able to place the screen between the original plastic grill and the bumper cover to hold it in place. Just a few thoughts.
ATB,
Tom
There is molding around the edge...it's just hard to see in the picture. I'm not sure there is enough room between the grill and the bumper with the way it clips in. I might play around with it more when I get some time.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv
Any chance you could trace your final outline and post a scan of it so we poor leechers could just "cut on the dotted line" to follow you?
I'll see what I can do when I take them off to mount them in a more permanent fashion. It probably won't be anytime soon though...I'll have to wait until it warms up a little. It was in the 50's today and I froze just walking out to the garage!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
sdkkv, possibly you can re-install them with a few (4-6) strategically dabs of clear silicone sealant??
It wouldn't stick with all the dirt on my car!!!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:37 AM   #19
olly986

when i changed my front bumper i had the choice of mesh or original turbo grill, i went for the original look as i wasn't amazed with the mesh ,a little bit too horticultural for me, ie garden edge
Old 12-27-2005, 08:39 AM   #20

Ha-ha! I was chipping/shoveling the ice off the driveway a few days ago because it reached nearly 50 degrees here, and looked up just in time to see a brother Boxster (Arctic Silver?) drive by with the top down. Took advantage of the warm spell to get a few more outdoor tasks done before we resume sub-freezing temps...

No rush on the outline, it will literally be months before I'm going to be doing more work on the car. Thanks!

Quote:
I'll see what I can do when I take them off to mount them in a more permanent fashion. It probably won't be anytime soon though...I'll have to wait until it warms up a little. It was in the 50's today and I froze just walking out to the garage!