Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
DIY extremist

Looking to determine FAIR price on '08 Boxster S w/ CPO warranty

Hi, I am in the process of selling my 2000 Boxster S. My Dad just bought a 991 Carrera S and wants to sell me his CPO 2008 Box S for "whatever I think is fair". This is actually a pretty tough question for me, as I would probably not be in the market for a car as nice or expensive as his otherwise (I'd probably keep my 2000 if this offer didn't exist). CPO warranty good until August 2014.

The car is a 6MT in Arctic Silver w/ blue interior and top, wearing 19" Carrera Sport Classic wheels w/ newish Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Bi-Xenon Litronics, Preferred Package, PSM, front clear bra and aftermarket touchscreen Nav / stereo installed w/ stock speakers and amp. Comes with original 18" "lobster claw" wheels with OEM Continentals.

Car used for daily driver in the suburbs, plus occasional roadtrips and DE's. The car is absolutely perfect condition AFAIK, maintenance done religiously by dealer in Memphis. Car is on original clutch and as far as I know, has only had some minor issues, except for a front control arm and stabilizer links, which were replaced (and aligned) due to a front end rattle.

NADA is 28k (rough trade-in) to 36k (clean retail), so what I am looking for is the true market value, so I'm not paying too much and my Dad will not be feeling gypped.

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Split down the middle $32K is a square deal. YMMV
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

30K is the family price...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

I buy and sell cars as a hobby and have found the sweet spot when setting a price that will entice is 1/2 way between NADA high trade in and full retail. That would seem like a proper value for what you're looking for.

Or you can go to Rideslist.com and look at Craigslists from various areas.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #5

Reading in between the lines here: "wants to sell me his CPO 2008 Box S"

Sounds like he wants to keep that sweet ride in the family.

Alternatively, keep telling him how much you want the car but can't really afford it.
He could end up selling it to you for much less than its worth; heck, he might just give it you.

Don't be ashamed either. If anyone ever does something like that for you, it would be your father.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
DIY extremist

Ok, thanks everyone. We agreed on a price of 29k, plus permanent p-car borrowing privileges whenever he is here in New York. Thanks for the input! Now, who wants to buy my sweet 2000 Box s?

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote