Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #1

Took all day to do one rear bearing...fun

So I am in the process of replacing the rear bearings. I was following the pelican DIY but I ended up having to remove the axel to get the bolt off the lower control arm.
I also spent 1.5 hours just trying to figure out how to get the parking brake cable off.
Then it was another hour trying to line up the carrier on the press.

Perhaps I'll just pull the axel off the other side and just pull it that way without removing the carrier.

Chris

Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Below is an excerpt from my build last year:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35002-so-build-begins.html

OK, so in deciding where to start I chose the wheel bearings. The wheels came off and I pulled the tires off and got the rims over to the powder coater. The rotors and pads were changed last December so that put me next at the wheel bearings.

Realizing that a number of folks have posted up wheel bearing threads and there are some novel approaches by others to speed the process of replacement, I spent quite a bit of time on the phone and emails with many people and uncovered an aeronautical company specializing in lubrication of aircraft engines and whose owner is a Boxster owner

He has taken his engineering abilities and passion for the Porsche and produced several tools specifically designed for the 986 and some of its issues. Casper Labs casperlabs.com has a new design that allows the replacement of a wheel bearing in ~1 hour/wheel wherein you do not have to remove the suspension the eccentric, nor do you need a hydraulic press for removal nor insertion of the bearings. The tool is fully functional for all four wheels.

I would love to show you how the tool works, but I have been asked not to as he is still building his business market. I will say this is somewhat of a bummer but I will honor my word and not show anything more than what he shows in his marketing pictures. In his defense I bought the first tool off the production line. Hey, I can respect a request…but I can show what it looks like with a bearing out. In the end it did take about 1 hr wheel and in the end I am stoked with how easy the whole process went.

Total cost for this project: Tools, wheel bearings and 5 hours time just under $500.00

Ease of project (using Wayne's format) two wrenches

I was even able to let my wife do one wheel as she is really into this project and at 5'4" and 105lbs she was able to do one complete wheel!

Here are some shots below:

Below is where I got the tool from:
Bill Ryan
Casper Labs, Inc.
tel. 561-575-3157

Bill has helped a few folks on the lab and I came to know him through out local PCA chapter from another Boxster owner who he had helped.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind View Post
So I am in the process of replacing the rear bearings. I was following the pelican DIY but I ended up having to remove the axel to get the bolt off the lower control arm.
I also spent 1.5 hours just trying to figure out how to get the parking brake cable off.
Then it was another hour trying to line up the carrier on the press.

Perhaps I'll just pull the axel off the other side and just pull it that way without removing the carrier.

Chris
That is how I did it, right in the car. No need to remove the entire carrier..
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Right side was a bit of a PITA too as I had to drop the pan and part of the exhaust to get the axel out. Now that I have done both sides ones I know what to expect and it would be much faster next time.
Chris.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
+1 on Casper Labs tools AND Bill Ryan! They work well and FAST for very little $$$.

Would highly recommend this company…he helped save my engine!

I have Sir Tools P90 kit, would trade it for Casper tools….are they available for sale yet? Anyone want a Sir Tools setup…it will still save time over 'conventional' methods.

Casper made me an adapter for removal of another Mfr.'s IMS bearing for only $10! They KNOW GOOD PARTS - at good prices!

Casper's IMS installation tools are second to none and LESS EXPENSIVE. Undoubtedly the wheel bearing tool will be a time (and money) saver too.

When is tool available? How much is he asking? I KNOW where to get it…guess I will make the call.

Thanks Eric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Below is an excerpt from my build last year:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/35002-so-build-begins.html

OK, so in deciding where to start I chose the wheel bearings. The wheels came off and I pulled the tires off and got the rims over to the powder coater. The rotors and pads were changed last December so that put me next at the wheel bearings.

Casper Labs casperlabs.com has a new design that allows the replacement of a wheel bearing in ~1 hour/wheel wherein you do not have to remove the suspension the eccentric, nor do you need a hydraulic press for removal nor insertion of the bearings. The tool is fully functional for all four wheels.

Total cost for this project: Tools, wheel bearings and 5 hours time just under $500.00

Below is where I got the tool from:
Bill Ryan
Casper Labs, Inc.
tel. 561-575-3157

Bill has helped a few folks on the lab and I came to know him through out local PCA chapter from another Boxster owner who he had helped.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

I removed the carrier and pressed them out/in.

hardest part of the job??? the freaking emergency brake. Not fun
chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #7

Actually the hardest part I found besides the brake cable was the control arm. How the hell do you hold that bolt while loosening the nut with the axel in the way?
Chris
Old 05-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

If I have understood the features of this tool correct, not even the axle has to be removed?

spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote