Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Still got clutch smell after 1k miles, blue smoke..

I changed the clutch in my Boxster S 2001 little under 1000 miles ago. Everything has been fine (apart from a main shaft seal leak, which I fixed ~900 miles ago). The clutch, however, still make a burning smell from time to time. It doesn't feel like it is slipping. Seems strange to me that it is still making the smell..

Also, once I stopped after a short drive yesterday, there was some black smoke coming from the engine area. Not very much, and you can barely see it, but there was smoke. There was also some clutch smell, so I presume it is the same thing...

I do gun it from time-to-time, but nothing crazy. And it sounds strange because it doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping.

And to finish it off; I drove to Lake Tahoe yesterday and back home. Total of around 500 miles. Everything was running great, but when starting the car this morning, there was a gush of blue/white smoke, which I've never seen before. It went away after about 5 seconds... but it is still strange.. thoughts?

Thanks.

rdougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

Blue white smoke is your biggest concern at this moment. Sounds like a classic case of AOS failure, which can do engine damage if you continue to drive it. To check for AOS failure, remove the oil filler cap while the car is running and put your hand over the filler tube. If you feel anything more than the slightest vacuum, AOS is bad.

When the AOS goes, manifold vacuum can suck in lots of oil into the engine, creating the cloud of smoke.

Be careful.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

My new clutch gave a burning smell occasionally over a 4-6 week period after being replaced. It didn't slip and worked fine so I just kept driving it and now I only smell it if I abuse it. I attributed the smell to the clutch "breaking in" but that was really only to make myself feel that everything was ok.

I also have a big puff of white smoke upon startup occasionally and my car passes the oil cap test. Its bad enough that I'm convinced at that moment that the engine has blown, but it always clears up in a few seconds when the oil pressure comes up. This seems to be somewhat normal as many others have the same experience on occasion and the engine continues to run fine.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougan
I changed the clutch in my Boxster S 2001 little under 1000 miles ago. Everything has been fine (apart from a main shaft seal leak, which I fixed ~900 miles ago). The clutch, however, still make a burning smell from time to time. It doesn't feel like it is slipping. Seems strange to me that it is still making the smell..

Also, once I stopped after a short drive yesterday, there was some black smoke coming from the engine area. Not very much, and you can barely see it, but there was smoke. There was also some clutch smell, so I presume it is the same thing...

I do gun it from time-to-time, but nothing crazy. And it sounds strange because it doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping.

And to finish it off; I drove to Lake Tahoe yesterday and back home. Total of around 500 miles. Everything was running great, but when starting the car this morning, there was a gush of blue/white smoke, which I've never seen before. It went away after about 5 seconds... but it is still strange.. thoughts?

Thanks.
Let me guess, before the start when you saw the blue smoke, the car was only run for a very short time. Like it was moved from one part of the driveway to another or something. Perfectly normal.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Let me guess, before the start when you saw the blue smoke, the car was only run for a very short time. Like it was moved from one part of the driveway to another or something. Perfectly normal.
Nope. I had drove for about 4 hours the previous evening, and then started it the next day.

I'll try that test later on tonight. Hopefully nothing major..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
My new clutch gave a burning smell occasionally over a 4-6 week period after being replaced. It didn't slip and worked fine so I just kept driving it and now I only smell it if I abuse it. I attributed the smell to the clutch "breaking in" but that was really only to make myself feel that everything was ok.
Helpful, thanks. I think the same. I'll give it a bit of time to see.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Blue white smoke is your biggest concern at this moment. Sounds like a classic case of AOS failure, which can do engine damage if you continue to drive it. To check for AOS failure, remove the oil filler cap while the car is running and put your hand over the filler tube. If you feel anything more than the slightest vacuum, AOS is bad.

When the AOS goes, manifold vacuum can suck in lots of oil into the engine, creating the cloud of smoke.

Be careful.
Checked, and there is a small vacuum.

FML.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdougan
Nope. I had drove for about 4 hours the previous evening, and then started it the next day.

I'll try that test later on tonight. Hopefully nothing major..

Helpful, thanks. I think the same. I'll give it a bit of time to see.
Still nothing to worry about.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #8

Keep an eye on the coolant level. If its getting low, then you could have a head gasket problem, but i would definitively rule out the AOS first.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000