Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

70 000 mile might as well...

geez, is it just me or does just about everything need to be replaced around this mileage? Rotors, pads, spark plugs, water pump, coolant hoses, thermostat, AOS , mass air, tires, clutch, flywheel, coolant, trans oil, top ...

Last edited by woodsman; 05-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Garage
sounds about right. Some of it should have already been replaced.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
If you made it that far on the original version of every single one of those parts, kudos. Doesn't sound so crazy when you consider that it's a Porsche. They're not exactly built like a commuter car meant to run forever before needing everything replaced.

Consider us fortunate -- the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX has to have virtually every fluid in it changed at just 15,000 miles (per the maintenance schedule)...of course that's also a car like ours that's not built to just be daily driven for 100,000 miles and needing close to nothing.

Seeing as it can take some people 20 years to reach that mileage in a Porsche, it makes even more sense.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

I think everything is original! The problem is , that I bought it with 65 000 miles!!!
But then, I paid $77 000 (plus tax diff) less than the guy who ordered this beauty! ( I keep telling myself that over and over...)

Last edited by woodsman; 05-03-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: bad math
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I think everything is original! The problem is , that I bought it with 65 000 miles!!!
Oh...yeah that part kinda sucks...but hey, when don't used cars need something shortly after buying them, right?
:dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
But then, I paid $87 000 (plus tax diff) less than the guy who ordered this beauty! ( I keep telling myself that over and over...)
And there we have the other edge of the sword...so enjoy!

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Something....? When and, if, I replace this car I think I'll look for something in the 25-30 000 range. I thought the downward plunge in value was near bottom on mine and thought I was being smart (!), hmmn......oh well, it's still the most satisfying purchase I've ever made:dance:
Old 05-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

$7,000 of maintanence (or much less if you do most of it yourself) on a $87,000 car every 10 years or 70,000 miles actually sounds pretty reasonable. The trick for most of us is to spread it out over a couple of years rather than doing it all at once.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

IT'S the 'spreading it out' part that i'm having trouble with, and my point- 75 000 miles seems to be a 'special time' with these cars, or maybe with most cars?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #9

took my 986 S about 10 years to hit 70K miles. In that time there was exactly one repair, throttle body and I distinctly remember the dealer charging less than $400 for that. It sticks out in my mind because it was one of the few repairs I had to make that wasn't over $500. Either way in those first 70K miles the Boxster was by far the most reliable car I'd ever driven. No unexpected repairs. Life was great!! The stock market hadn't crashed. I was cash rich!!

Then the other side of 70K miles came and wasted no time in letting me know that the happy days were over. Clutch started slipping. So that means IMS/RMS. Looked at the Flywheel, needed replacing. Kapow $3K. (first time I ever payed a bill that high on a car, that's more than I spent on my first car). A year later the AOS, coolant tank, starter, ignition thing that goes, and MAF with new tires and brake pads... kapow $2,5K. A year later the cats gave up the ghost and it was time for wheel-straightening/refinishing, some suspension work, plastic window replacement and new tires. kapow $4K. The old water pump finally let go last month and the rotors called time afer 13 years. $2K.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-02-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Guess I need to do some work to mine then, since it has almost 91,000mi.

Clutch was replaced before I bought it. Brakes are getting near replacement time (rotors are still good), may do thermo/water pump as preventative. Do need to get the spark plugs, though.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #11

Wow, it's that first 70 000 miles of glory that I'm missing. My Toyota's like that at 180 000 miles and I've been kind of down on the Boxster's maintenance needs. Nice to hear about that bliss, top down...turn the key and go...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #12

Garage
Perfect Lap,
It sounds horrific in a post but yours is one of four or five on here that are among cars that still stir the spirit:
Danger's beast
Yours
Doc's superb total restore
Whip's pristine guards red
Partials bold new world

These are the cars that inspired me. I dreamed of a 986 since '99 and landed my first p car in January.
I've replaced IMS, RMS, clutch and she's now 4 weeks into a full bare metal respray.
In total since Jan I've spent £5k British money.

Buyers regret... No.
When I get her back tomorrow and here that howl, I'll be the happiest man alive.
Could I have bought newer... Yes
Will I get the resale value of my spend....No

This is now mine for keeps.
Me and my boy (8) love driving the 986 (well he just rides) but someday it will be his.

I've had 17 cars in my life and I always spend more than i get back. I do not mod or restore to up the value, I make the car I want, look and drive how I want . Every car is a project, and someone will always benefit from my car OCD when I sell it on.
But I'm 986 for keeps and living the dream.

Carry a 2k watch chest and a heart full of pride and stay true to a pure roadster.

Crikey...got a bit deep and emotional there.... Ha ha
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Newb

Purchased my 99 just before winter and broke it out at the end of march. Invested about 7k into it as it has 74k miles. New tires, brake pads, wheel bearings, IMSB (LNE), RMS, oem clutch kit, full ROW M030 suspension, 6 plugs with coils and tubes, oil change & filter, transmission oil change, alignment, & battery.

My Boxster rides and performs like new. Sure I could have spent 20k and got a newer model with less miles, but I spent in total about $18.5k and I am driving with confidence that I will not be fixing something every few weeks. In a few years (120k miles or so) I will rebuild the engine and replace a few more worn items.

I would have most likely had to deal with these items every few months on the $20k car. Not to mention the inconvenience of that happening away from home or during great weather.

I figure over the next three years I will be happier with my worry free $18.5k outlay than the $26k I would have most likely laid out for the newer model with surprise repairs.
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
2001 Boxster S

Got my Boxster S last January with 42,000 km in the odometer. It's in pretty good shape when I got it but still had to fork out some change to replace the vanity mirrors, window regulator, owner's manual, spark plugs, oil and other fluids changed, fog lamp bulbs... I fear the aos also gave out so ordered a pair from Pelican. Whilst in there, ordered some triguard car cover as well! Did I mention I got sports pedals when I saw the, at Suncoast?

The aftermarket radio that the PO installed has stopped working and not sure yet if it's the HU or just some fuse issue. I have a feeling it's probably the former! Yesterday, the battery went dead!

My mechanic suggested that the micro sensors in the trunk has also gone! So that's in the offing, too.

Oh, the joys of a pre-loved car!

I think the lack of use is the culprit to some of these gremlins! (at least the battery going dead, definitely) oh well, it's all good and I do enjoy the 'project'. If only the missus appreciates it as wellas I do!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgnarvs View Post
Got my Boxster S last January with 42,000 km in the odometer. It's in pretty good shape when I got it but still had to fork out some change to replace the vanity mirrors, window regulator, owner's manual, spark plugs, oil and other fluids changed, fog lamp bulbs... I fear the aos also gave out so ordered a pair from Pelican. Whilst in there, ordered some triguard car cover as well! Did I mention I got sports pedals when I saw the, at Suncoast?

The aftermarket radio that the PO installed has stopped working and not sure yet if it's the HU or just some fuse issue. I have a feeling it's probably the former! Yesterday, the battery went dead!

My mechanic suggested that the micro sensors in the trunk has also gone! So that's in the offing, too.

Oh, the joys of a pre-loved car!

I think the lack of use is the culprit to some of these gremlins! (at least the battery going dead, definitely) oh well, it's all good and I do enjoy the 'project'. If only the missus appreciates it as wellas I do!
You ordered a pair of AOS? You need only one.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #16

I have over 10K into my car in the past 2 years. I was ready for it so I didn't cry too much. The car was super clean when I bought it. Took a while to find one that would be worth the reinvestment. To me, it is the perfect car. Not over thought. Not over improved like later models, just a 2.5, a clutch, steering wheel, and a go pedal. A pure drivers car. It will take me years to master the car and be able to really drive it to its full potential. The money spent is well worth the time spent in the seat.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #17

Garage
This thread does bring up the debate
Is it the low miles per year older car effecting reliability?

If the expectation is that the car is good and trouble free (scheduled maintenance excluded) up to lets say 70k, that's horrible in relation to a highly refined, engineered and high price car.

But if it is 70k and 12-13 years (my 2002 is just coming up on 59k) then that is a different debate.

Should 10 -12 year of lite driving effect the dependability so much. Again these are highly engineered cars.

I'm still on the front side of the magical 70k and will be for another year or so.

I hope my German sports car can be as dependable as my ford mustang at 98k or my Dodge minivan at 148k, both with only a couple few hundred $$ repairs

I know I see a lot of posts here from those approaching 100k with minimal issues so there appears to be hope. Its the others with a scrap pile big enough to build another Boxster that scares the 'S..' out of me

I suspect, like me, age beats the hell out of us. Cars seem more human everyday

Last edited by kk2002s; 05-03-2013 at 06:15 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #18

I bought my 00S with 74K miles on it in summer of '08. It now has 110K miles. The car runs great and has required very little in the way of repairs. I have kept maintenance up to date, doing the 90K service a few years ago, changing plugs, plug tubes and o-rings along with all fluids.

I've kept records of my repairs and maintenance and have spent just under $2,500 in 5 years, including new tires all the way around and a set of fronts and a new battery.

with the help and expertise of this and other boards, I have been able to do all the work myself, which has certainly kept costs down.

main repairs included:
CV joint boots
Rear wheel bearings
coolant tank cracked
ignition switch
motor mount
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #19
2001 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
You ordered a pair of AOS? You need only one.
Uh oh, did I just order the wrong parts? Any help on the part number would be appreciated!
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Was the item sold as a pair? If so that would be strange. The car has only ever had a single AOS.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top