986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Racer's tape... User beware (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/45360-racers-tape-user-beware.html)

RandallNeighbour 05-01-2013 05:00 AM

Racer's tape... User beware

1 Attachment(s)
I used some bright orange racer's tape at the track this weekend for my numbers on the frunk and doors of my black Boxster. When I removed the tape on the frunk, all the residue came off easily, but the reinforced tape pattern did something odd. The paint was indented showing the pattern where the paint heated up at different temperatures.

This is permanent damage I think. I will attempt to buff it out by heating up the paint to smooth it out, but I don't hold out much hope.

Word to the wiser than me here... Use blue painter's tape and avoid my mistake.

thstone 05-01-2013 06:31 AM

Yes, good tip! Racers tape, otherwise known as duct tape, has quite a bit more adhesion and isn't intended to be easily removed. Hope it all cleans up.

By the way, I really like the look of your car. My Spec Boxster race car is going to be black and I've been thinking about color combo's and had this in mind. Now I can see firsthand what it might look like. Thanks.

Perfectlap 05-01-2013 07:33 AM

Man that's some serious banking...

Give it a once over with a cutting pad (usually the maroon pad) and an intensive polish.
I doubt it etched clear past the clear coat.

Kenny Boxster 05-01-2013 07:38 AM

DO NOT even use blue painter's tape! I was doing a project on the hood/front bumper and I still cannot get the mark of the tape off, despite washing many times. Believe the only way to get off is to polish like perfect lap said. Maybe a magnetic alternative would be better than tape.

RandallNeighbour 05-01-2013 07:49 AM

Guys, this is not tape residue I'm talking about here... The temperature differences under the tape actually made the paint surface ripple. Just thought I'd add this clarification.

This is similar to what happens when a bird craps on the hood of a black car in the sun. The paint under the bird crap is hidden from the sun is cooler than the paint surrounding it and it creates a bird crap "etching" outline. It's not the acids doing the damage. It's the temperature differences on the paint causing the damage.

RandallNeighbour 05-01-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 340442)
Man that's some serious banking...

Give it a once over with a cutting pad (usually the maroon pad) and an intensive polish.
I doubt it etched clear past the clear coat.

It's an old NASCAR track. However, I think the photographer made it more dramatic than it really is.

Perfectlap 05-01-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 340447)
Guys, this is not tape residue I'm talking about here... The temperature differences under the tape actually made the paint surface ripple. Just thought I'd add this clarification.

This is similar to what happens when a bird craps on the hood of a black car in the sun. The paint under the bird crap is hidden from the sun is cooler than the paint surrounding it and it creates a bird crap "etching" outline. It's not the acids doing the damage. It's the temperature differences on the paint causing the damage.

well if there's ripple (A) damn that's some serious track temps (B) it still may be limited to the clear coat. in other words if you grind down the clear coat for the whole area (both covered and uncovered) sunlight may reflect it off it in a way where you won't be able to differentiate what was covered and what wasn't since its all the same depth now. If the damage went down to the base layer well then you've got a date with the paint booth.

Skrapmot 05-01-2013 08:15 AM

Orange looks cool. Fluorescent green/yellow would look sweet on black .

Perfectlap 05-01-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 340444)
DO NOT even use blue painter's tape! I was doing a project on the hood/front bumper and I still cannot get the mark of the tape off, despite washing many times. Believe the only way to get off is to polish like perfect lap said. Maybe a magnetic alternative would be better than tape.

I made my own race numbers. Total cost was wayyyyy less then what the race number guys were charging. I created a template of the race number on Word. Took it to Kinkos. They blew it up really big. I cut around it so that it had a little white border. Then Kinkos laminated it. I went next door to Office Depot and bought a pack of those magnetic business cards and glued them to the back (along the edges) of the of the number. Worked perfectly. However, I'd put down some masking tape or a coat of wax first. IF you slide around any magnet over paint it will produce some micromarring.