Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Garage
Transmission replacement help

Finally got to this point. I was able to switch my ratchet from loosening to tightening. I love that part. But having difficulty getting the transmission in. It part on top looks more broken than I think it is. I think it's a baffle or shield of some sort. My question is, what in the hell is it? And what is the trick to getting around it?

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Garage
Its the air chamber on the air inlet cross over tube. That Really is another problem you will need to address. With that split you are drawing in dirty air to your engine
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #3

+1 a valuable find and it looks easier to fix with the tranny out. I wonder if your engines been out before and the duct got in the way of re-entry?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #4

Garage
The box or chamber appears to be intact. The picture looks nasty, but the broken piece appears to be just a plastic shield and I cannot find any damage to the chamber itself. I should have taken a picture after the rest of the shield fell off. That "shield" was just glued on. Still seems pretty weird to me, but I analyzed it from the top and I should be able to replace it (if necessary) from the top. I got the transmission bolted in and will examine it further once I get it off the jack stands.

Any idea what the official name of that is? If not, it'll give me something to do tomorrow at work. Solitaire and Minesweeper is getting quite boring.

Thanks.

CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote