Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #1

Stripping my 97 for sale to a spec guy...

I had a thought this weekend at the DE (which I thoroughly enjoyed, btw!)

My 97 isn't worth much more than $10-11k to the right person who appreciates the fact that I have updated the wheels, tail lamps, headlights (litronics), seats (from a 2001 Carrera), cluster, steering wheel (2002 Carrera 3 spoke), center console, stereo, leather door panels (from a 97 w/o airbags... rare indeed), and replaced the entire suspension with adjustable control arms and kSport coilovers, not to mention the motor replacement at 75k and younger 5 speed tranny at 85k.

What do you all think of the idea of stripping all this stuff off the car when I'm ready to sell it in three or four years and selling the pieces on eBay and then selling the car to a spec guy for $8k stripped down to what he would need to build a race car?

I know I'll never get the $27,000 I have put into repairs and mods (incl. the purchase price) back out of the car, but I'm wondering if I can get more for it this way.

Thoughts?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #2

I think it would be a wash over selling it as is. Donor 2.5's will probably go for peanuts then, what are they at now $7K? Used suspension parts are dicey sale for the buyer so you'll get a fraction of the price you payed. The other things could fetch some dough but not enough to make it profitable over selling the car intact.
Also, I think if the car is well kept, both paint and mechanicals, you might get an interested buyer who doesn't want to go through the hassle of doing all that you've already done. Sorta like people who don't want to buy fixer upper houses.
Not saying a turn key type buyer will offer top dollar but just enough to make parting it out a waste of your time.

Also, I was trying to source an 03-04 soft top and place that buys the front-end wrecks. I was surprised to see that they were selling the cars to dismantlers for as little as $2,500. Meanwhile they'll charge you $1700retail for the used top alone. Only problem is selling the whole parted out car could take a long while...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
I am sure there will be young folks who want to buy a Boxster at a reasonable price
as their first P car. It is a shame to see a perfectly good car get dismantled for parts....
I am sure there are some young buyers out there who will do their own wrenching
and would be perfectly happy with your car.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
On rereading your post, you could try and sell it as is and if not enough $$$ then remove the saleable parts for ebay . Eventually you will get enough $$$ out of the sale if you keep on removing the saleable parts. Just my 05 cents....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #5

you can probably trade out those parts for a few extra bucks and sell the car as a whole.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

I might change out the coil overs just to help with the sale. Leaving them in is going to further shrink your pool of buyers to young people or older folks with healthy lower backs.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Perfectlap, your comment that the coilovers are 'going to further shrink your pool of buyers to young people and older folks with healthy lower backs' is both funny -and true.

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote