Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 03:56 AM   #1

2006 Boxster 1st Oil change and odd noise

My G/f has an '06 Boxster with 4500 highway miles...daily driver.

She recently noticed an odd fluttering noise that comes from behind the driver...sounds kinda like if you had tin foil fluttering between the spokes of a bicycle wheel.

I searched the site and came up w/this possible explanation for the noise. She is also experiencing a loss of power.

"I think the sound is likely cavitation, which basically occurs when a pump is pressurizing oil with air in it or theres not enough oil feed to a pump. If the relief valve is opening too early or too much in cold running (ie higher viscosity oil which = higher pressure, and also reluctance to flow into the pump) its possible the pump is being starved of oil, or being fed oil with air in it.. The air is compressed (assuming for the mo that oil is incompressible) and implodes which over time will diesel (or burn) the oil, and will reduce the oil life, increase the acidity of the oil and damage components, making matters worse...

When cavitation occurs (particularly on leading edges of pressure equipment, ie pump lobes/gears) the material in these areas is damaged causing a drop in performance and "sealing" making the matter progressively worse. This may explain why a new oil pump helped for a short while, but eventually the problem came back..."

She's taking the car to the dealership tomorrow...about a 160 mile round trip so I don't want the time wasted and suggested she have the oil and filter changed...in case they cannot find any problem causing this odd noise I'd like to see what the filter looks like inside at least.

I searched but had no luck locating at what milage the general consensus agreed on was best for an initial oil & filter change for a daily driven Boxster. 20K miles seems absurd to me. The car is driven an average of 500 miles per week....90% highway.

Better to change it now...or wait until what milage for the initial oil/filter change?

If there is a link to an answer for this that would be much appreciated.

KShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
bmussatti

The general recommendation for oil (and filter) changes is after the first 1,000 miles and then every 7-10K thereafter. Using Mobil One 0W40.

Take it to the dealer to fix/find the noise you are hearing. Could be something worked loose too.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
The general recommendation for oil (and filter) changes is after the first 1,000 miles and then every 7-10K thereafter. Using Mobil One 0W40.

Take it to the dealer to fix/find the noise you are hearing. Could be something worked loose too.
Thanks.

She is fighting me on this oil change....the salesman to her no service recommended until 20K miles. It doesn't get very cold here in SE GA...0W40 will work in warmer climates o-K?
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3558/hhiz503xt.jpg
Old 12-12-2005, 05:37 AM   #4

Talking

On the oil change, I think it depends on the future of the car.

If she is likely to keep this as a long term car, my thoughts are oil changes every 7500 miles. Based on what data I have seen on M1, that is when it starts to go south.

If she is a three year owner type, this is over kill and the 20K is likely OK.

On the weight issue, I think the 0-40 is fine. However, if it were me, I might run Castrol 5-50 in the South.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
On the oil change, I think it depends on the future of the car.

If she is likely to keep this as a long term car, my thoughts are oil changes every 7500 miles. Based on what data I have seen on M1, that is when it starts to go south.

If she is a three year owner type, this is over kill and the 20K is likely OK.

On the weight issue, I think the 0-40 is fine. However, if it were me, I might run Castrol 5-50 in the South.
Damm...sorry, I didn't realize that sig pic was gonna be so big.

She puts 22K miles per year on her car and the Porsche is a long term vehicle. If it's o-k to wait another 3K miles before changing out the oil/filter...great. But since the car is going to be over there anyway I will probably spend the $300 and get it done now.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
bmussatti

Kshep, your Z looks very nice!

An oil & filter change should be around $200 max. I've never heard of $300. Some places in the Chicago area are $110.

Have you checked the oil level recently? Wonder what that noise problem is. Let us know when you find out. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Kshep, your Z looks very nice!

An oil & filter change should be around $200 max. I've never heard of $300. Some places in the Chicago area are $110.

Have you checked the oil level recently? Wonder what that noise problem is. Let us know when you find out. Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment...it's a lot easier to care for the Silverstone paint than the Atlas Gray I can tell you that. Haven't been able to take any decent pics of it yet as she pretty much lives in the thing.

The service manager is not in the office today..I'll query him tomorrow on the cost of the procedure . Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by KShep; 12-12-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #8

I have the oil changed at my local service station.

I buy 9 qts of oil at Wallie World and the filter at the dealer.

Thats a total of about $75.

$15 for the change, $60 for the supplies.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
I have the oil changed at my local service station.

I buy 9 qts of oil at Wallie World and the filter at the dealer.

Thats a total of about $75.

$15 for the change, $60 for the supplies.

Any special tools required to remove the filter? I'm gonna let the dealership do this until the warranty is gone...which the way she drives won't be long. I have access to a lift and can DIY if I have the correct tools.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #10

"She recently noticed an odd fluttering noise that comes from behind the driver...sounds kinda like if you had tin foil fluttering between the spokes of a bicycle wheel."

Interesting description but it matches what I experienced and have read from others. Generally seems to come from the right rear (wheel?) area at very low speeds or when coming to a halt? FWIW it went away on mine at @ 5000 miles.

As far as the oil change debate I don't think you'll ever get the two schools of thought to agree, other than to disagree, but I'm personally planning on going to the 20k and did not change oil after break-in or 1000 miles. To recap my previous points: 1) I figure Porsche engineers may know a little more about what's required to service their cars than the "great unwashed"...2) That's a hell of alot of oil for an engine only displacing 2.7L...3) It's not in Porsche's best interest to overstate the service interval if it adversely impacts the car's performance and increases warranty claims.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #11

FYI I just took my car to the dealership for the noise problem. It was easily reproduceable--drive while the engine is cold, let off the throttle and let revs fall through 2200 RPM and you'd hear a weird scratching noise from behind you.

I thought it'd be the oil pump thing. When they entered my car in the system they also threw on a maintenance point that Porsche is apparently telling them to do--put some washers on the exhaust hangers. Apparently people have been reporting noise due to that.

Well, funny enough, after they did that, the sounds I was hearing went away! They didn't even have to try to troubleshoot the issue any futher. Good for me, good for them!

So yeah--take it in!
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
"She recently noticed an odd fluttering noise that comes from behind the driver...sounds kinda like if you had tin foil fluttering between the spokes of a bicycle wheel."

Interesting description but it matches what I experienced and have read from others. Generally seems to come from the right rear (wheel?) area at very low speeds or when coming to a halt? FWIW it went away on mine at @ 5000 miles.

As far as the oil change debate I don't think you'll ever get the two schools of thought to agree, other than to disagree, but I'm personally planning on going to the 20k and did not change oil after break-in or 1000 miles. To recap my previous points: 1) I figure Porsche engineers may know a little more about what's required to service their cars than the "great unwashed"...2) That's a hell of alot of oil for an engine only displacing 2.7L...3) It's not in Porsche's best interest to overstate the service interval if it adversely impacts the car's performance and increases warranty claims.
That is a helluva lot of oil.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
FYI I just took my car to the dealership for the noise problem. It was easily reproduceable--drive while the engine is cold, let off the throttle and let revs fall through 2200 RPM and you'd hear a weird scratching noise from behind you.

I thought it'd be the oil pump thing. When they entered my car in the system they also threw on a maintenance point that Porsche is apparently telling them to do--put some washers on the exhaust hangers. Apparently people have been reporting noise due to that.

Well, funny enough, after they did that, the sounds I was hearing went away! They didn't even have to try to troubleshoot the issue any futher. Good for me, good for them!

So yeah--take it in!
I have passed thsi info along...many thanks.

Last edited by KShep; 12-13-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #14

One of the more credible tests of M1 and Amsoil indicated that they were shot at between 10-12K miles, depending on oil comsumption.

That did it for me.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:40 AM   #15

Quote:
One of the more credible tests of M1 and Amsoil indicated that they were shot at between 10-12K miles, depending on oil comsumption.

That did it for me.

I was raised "Old School" on changing oil...every 3K miles. Hard habit to break even with the reaseach and development, testing and specs. provided by companies like Mobil & Amsoil. The Z with a 3.5 liter only holds 5 quarts with the OE pan...6 with the APS pan and I change that every 3.5K.

I 'll have to find a happy medium that I'm comfortable with for the Boxster. Right now 7,500 is sounding acceptable....given the volume of oil for the displacement of the engine. I just don't think I can trust it for 20K miles on a long term daily driver though...especially one I'm not driving. I 'll ask her to keep an eye on comsumption and engine temps ...maybe slice open the filter when we change them out to see whats going on in there.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #16

This is an interesting read on the subject.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/-life.html

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html
Old 12-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Getting 404 error on the 1st link...second provides info on Mobil 1 and Amsoil testing. :thumbsup:
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #18

No need to go to the effort of cutting a can open - the Boxster filter cartridge is a paper pleated element that fits inside a permanent housing. You'll easily see what is on the filter when you take it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShep
...maybe slice open the filter when we change them out to see whats going on in there.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #19

The fluttering noise was diagnosed as "an oil pressure refief valve" that was manufactureed too short. They replaced the part with a longer one and the sound is gone.

No oil change performed on this trip.

Thanks for the helpful replies.
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3558/hhiz503xt.jpg
Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 AM   #20
bmussatti

That's good news! Not a huge deal.

You should change that oil.......