Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #1

Three New Motor Mounts = Holy Crap!!!

New motor mounts sorted out several issues I was having. Vibration a 2200 rpm is now gone. Shifting is now butter smooth even in first gear from a dead stop. The drive train was slightly akimbo with the bad mounts, making first gear "tricky." I did have the water pump replaced, and it needed it. The bad mounts had put the serp belt slightly out of alignment with water pump. Bearing in pump and newer serp belt were getting ready to go. Also that loud noise that lasted for a few seconds when starting cold, is now gone. Drives like new. Very pleased and best $$$ I have ever spent on a car.:dance:

Old 04-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

Wow! Was one completely broken? What made you decide to replace them? Was there a clunk going into gear, or the 2200 rpm vibration?

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #3

How do one determine if it's time to replace his/her motor mount(s)? What kind of loud noise at cold start do you have? The noise was due to water pump?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

Front motor mount mounts rubber was all but gone. This dropped the engine about 3/8 of an inch. This was enough to screw up the geometry of the drive train and made take offs from a dead stop tricky...a dead spot if you will. This also through out the serp belt placement and the pump bearing was starting to go. Not sure how this made a noise at start, but now noise is gone. I thought the motor mounts might be an issue because at 2200-2300 there was a vibration. Now it is gone. Since the engine had not been where it should have been, there was a chance the rubber in the rear mounts could be funky...50% chance any way. So I had them change them too. The loud noise at start was like a rock tumbler...now that sound is gone.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintboy View Post
Front motor mount mounts rubber was all but gone. This dropped the engine about 3/8 of an inch. This was enough to screw up the geometry of the drive train and made take offs from a dead stop tricky...a dead spot if you will. This also through out the serp belt placement and the pump bearing was starting to go. Not sure how this made a noise at start, but now noise is gone. I thought the motor mounts might be an issue because at 2200-2300 there was a vibration. Now it is gone. Since the engine had not been where it should have been, there was a chance the rubber in the rear mounts could be funky...50% chance any way. So I had them change them too. The loud noise at start was like a rock tumbler...now that sound is gone.
Thanks for the info, how many miles was on the car?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Sounds like it'd be a good mod to refresh any car (mine's 12 years old now after all)

Last edited by Dr.Strangepork; 04-21-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Dr.Strangepork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

Great to hear that a simple refresh like that can cure so many niggles. You must be pleased.
Can you explain how the Serp belt was thrown off alignment by the engine dropping?
I have never even seen my engine in the Boxster so I don't have any knowledge on it but have replaced belts on other engines, just can't work that out though.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Great to hear that a simple refresh like that can cure so many niggles. You must be pleased.
Can you explain how the Serp belt was thrown off alignment by the engine dropping?
I have never even seen my engine in the Boxster so I don't have any knowledge on it but have replaced belts on other engines, just can't work that out though.
It shouldn't do anything to the belt. All accessories and the tensioner are mounted to the engine and more as a single unit. I too was confused by the OP's comments. I'm actually in the middle of a WP & M mount install myself. My engine was sagging as well...but I assure the belt didn't know it!
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #9

What are the symptoms of a failing water pump?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #10

Car has 78K.
I have NO IDEA about serp belt/engine sag/blah blah. That is what I thought the guy told me. Heavy german accent. Their Boxster mechanic used to be a Porsche Factory team mechanic. I might have missed something in translation. The water pump pull was loose and had lots of play in it, and the belt that was only 2 years old was having issues too. Pump would have fail soon so timing is everything here. I do not know the "classic" signs that a water pump in going out if there are any...someone else here my know. I thought is was funny they have to do a partial removal of the interior to change it though. Also they used the fancy german oil (comp oil change) when the buttoned her back up. Guy says Mobil 1 formula has changed and is not really good for the older Box, BMW and Mercs any more FYI.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #11

Garage
I have decided to do my front mount very soon. SunCoast has part for around 129.00 so it really is small expense. It is an 11 year old car and I do feel various vibrations at different RPMs that led me to think it may help. No clunking or noticeable shift issues.

I hope it sorts out my minimal issues as well as you experienced
Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-r View Post
What are the symptoms of a failing water pump?
If you're lucky then you hear muted grinding sounds like there are some pebbles caught in the underbody. This is the sound of the impeller starting to break into pieces.

If you're less lucky then you're driving and the car overheats because all the coolant leaked out slowly over time through the hole left by the broken impeller

CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote