Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #21

We also take turns yelling at the kids to get off our lawn, although her bathrobe isn't quite as old and ratty as mine.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
We also take turns yelling at the kids to get off our lawn, although her bathrobe isn't quite as old and ratty as mine.
Really? We throw things, it makes them move a lot quicker!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #23

Garage
Make sure those robes are tied tight, especially around the kids
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
AKnowles; If your relationship is as good as you say it is (and I have no reason to doubt you, it sounds great) then there is something else going on. Is she worried or insecure about something?

Have a long talk, or just give it a rest for a while, then talk about it in 6 months maybe?
Well, she has a few issues with finances based on her "Ex" and her youth, however, she's been working through them with me for the last 12 years and gotten a lot better. Just had a bit of a "moment" with her this weekend, but no biggie. What I pointed out to her was no not start with the negative worries, but instead look at the requirements (i.e. check the insurance to see what it would cost, look at the requirements for a purchase price, look at the requirements to see how long it would take to save to purchase it outright, etc.) and then decide if it a workable solution or not.

Just doing that calmed down the situation quite a bit as she realizes I'm not looking to make a knee jerk reaction and impulsive purchase. Not am I going to do something like this at her expense (i.e. she has a trip to Europe we need to pay for as a girl scout chaperone when my step-daughter 'earns' her way). I pointed out her trip was her fun and I'd another get another P-car than tale a motorcycle trip to Europe as I originally suggested since I can't attend the GS trip with her.

We'll just have to see how it works out, but I suspect I might wind up with another P-car soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #25

sounds to me like you sold it not a whim but so that the wife unit wouldn't give you hell about doing those expensive upcoming repairs. So you shouldn't feel regret, you were acting on instinct from what I gather. If I were you I would sell the BMW and find a newer Porsche to drive daily. Maybe you can score a good deal on a CPO Boxster or Cayman.
I think that's my lesson after owning a decade+ old Porsche. The best thing to do, if you can swing it, is to buy a CPO Porsche, and keep it no more than 3 years. Just cut back on other areas of your "entertainment" budget to make up for the higher payments. Afterall, this car is not just transportation. For many its a part of socializing with other Porsche owners, a car that can be used for driver's education (autocross, DE, etc.). You wouldn't get any of those experiences if you simply owned a Corolla. But if I didn't own a Porsche I'd just get an FRS or well kept S2000. At the end of the day its about the driving not the brand or silly perceptions of prestiege or exclusivity. For what I've spent on the Boxster S and its upkeep I could have had a well modified NA Miata and had just as much seat time whether autocrossing, tracking or just top down driving... with plenty of cash to spare for a Mini Cooper for daily driving.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to audisnawb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
You can always get a divorce !
LOL Im with Johnny.... car or wife??? Easy choice... especially since she "didnt like it"

PAST: 2000 986 Porsche Boxster Biarritz White on Sierra Beige
audisnawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #27

Sold my 986 2 years ago because it was going to start needing real maintenance. Bought a '08 M3 cab because I still wanted a convertible sports car but figured back seats would be the adult thing to include. Never warmed up to that car and ultimately decided it ws too expensive to hold onto and started scheming to replace it.

An acquaintance had a really nice low mileage 987 for a good price. Drove it, bought it. Reminded me how much I used to like my 986. Liked it so much that shortly thereafter I got back on the wagon and looked at 997 prices while researching what price to put on my M3. Drove a "S" cab, liked it, bought it . My wife now drives the 987 (which I still really enjoy).

So you didn't sell your 986. You just started the process to get a 997.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster View Post
This!
Dr.Strangepork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster View Post
Drove a "S" cab, liked it, bought it . My wife now drives the 987 (which I still really enjoy).

^This is perplexing...
what did you do about the 997 engine in being in the completely wrong place?

Was giving your wife the car with optimal engine placement part of the plan??
Or are you just an extremely magnanomous, generous and sacrificial sort?
Does your wife have any idea you took one for the driver's team?

p.s.
If Porsche ever made a mid engine Carrera or a 918 type car that was priced rationally, I'd be all over it. Or perhaps the better question is why aren't other car companies doing so instead.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote