Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

A Reminder that Boxsters are Special Cars...

I had a visitor from South America stay for a couple days. He's a Surgeon, so not exactly broke. The guy was absolutely AMAZED by my Boxster.

He wanted to sit in it, stared at it in the garage, looked at all the buttons, asked me for a ride and shot video in motion... we went to a scenic spot and took pictures of him in it to show all his friends and put on Facebook. He begged me to let him drive it in the parking lot while I shot video... The guy was gushing over it. Admiring every line.

This is a 10 year old 986. It's completely normal to me... It doesn't even get the most attention in my garage sometimes. It was a surprising reminder of how special these cars are.

fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #2

Fusionist, thumbs up for that reminder! I have a little beachfront property on Isla Margarita and the guy who manages the property owns a recent Toyota 4runner that is no doubt more valuable than my 986 Boxster. His son was visiting in Canada last summer and he too 'freaked' about the Porsche. My much more valuable BMW X-3 was just another car to him.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Never forget that you're living the dream everyday.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #4

I got my state safety inspection last weekend. The tech guy asked if I could take his picture of him in the car (I was out there with him talking). He says he does inspections on high end cars all the time.

Then I took my 914 to him an hour later and got preferred treatment.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Damn Yankee

Garage
Got mine inspected last month and every eye in the place was on the Boxster. Finally, one guy in the waiting room asked:

"Is that your baby?"

You betcha. Like thstone stated, "Never forget that you're living the dream everyday."
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #6

Garage
Went to my daughters softball game and one of the other parents remarked, "I saw a couple of young men drooling over your sports car and taking each others picture standing by it." There must have been a hundred vehicles or more in that parking lot, and most of them worth ten grand more than my 2K2 S, but those boys wanted their picture taken by the Box. I just have to smile!
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yes it is interesting how much attention and looks the right Porsche can get. I've noticed it often depends too on the color, condition, and model. I see the occasional dirty, daily driver that folks really don't notice. It seems though when I take my Guards Red one out with its perfect mirror finish that folks really notice. I have finally got to the point where I'm no longer too aware of the stares...well until I got a gorgeous Platinum Silver 981. Now depending on what part of town I'm in I feel like everyone is looking. I'm sure I'm just overly aware and it will pass.

I live 20 or so miles east of Charlotte and in east Charlotte and further out here in the country I think there is maybe a couple other Porsches, well at least the ones I have seen that come out from hiding.

It was interesting at the last cars and coffee for some strange reasons all the folks were gathered around my new Boxster, it was between two silver 991s! The weird part is the local Porsche dealers has brought plenty of them to the gathering but they were different colors and i don't remember seeing a crowd.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #8

Garage
Even a 12 year old Boxster, seal grey, original paint, over 242,000 miles, gets “Nice Car” and “Nice Ride” while driving along the coast in Avila Beach last weekend, I shouted back “Thank You!” every time.

My wife comments on how many people are checking-out the Jägermobile quite often. There are quite a few Porsches in this part of California, so I can imagine they get more attention in other parts of the country where there are fewer of them.

I had a company internal auditor from Colorado want to ride in my Boxster this week, instead of taking his rental to lunch, he said, “I was hoping we could take your car”. I said, “OK if you insist”.

I predict these 986’s will be the rage in 20 years.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote