Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #1

Garage
Stereo question???

Does anyone know if there are inputs for a Subwoofer on our stock stereos??? What would I need to do to wire this into the existing system??? Thanks in advance for all helpful info.

Last edited by Meat Head; 05-31-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #2

Garage
I'm assuming you don't have an aftermarket amplifier? What happens when you set your radio fader to full rear? When I got my 99, everything would go silent. That means that the rear output on the radio is not currently powering anything, although I'm pretty sure the wires are still run from the radio to the amplifier.

Take a look at the manual for the radio: here. Page 28 has the pin-outs, and it looks like socket C1, pins 1 and 2 are your left and right rear pre-outs. You could tie into those two and the ground and feed them to the un-amplified input on the sub.

Getting power back there to the sub is another challenge...
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #3

Meat,
I too hate the lack of bass in the box... there are a LOT of ways you can go, BUT if you are not willing to invest in a better head unit (OEM sucks imho) then ask yourself what quality bass you will get for the money you are willing to pay...

Also that enclosed sub requires no other amp (pro) but now you have mounted a sub right next to your ear (major con). Subs as we know are meant to be felt, not heard, imagine the extreme discomfort of "feeling" the sub right next to your ear, MAJOR HEADACHE!!! also I noticed that particular sub didnt have a remote. meaning once wired in, you will have to use your head unit (stereo) to control the bass out put... and that is even more frustrating. Last reason to avoid that enclosure, for the price, you could custom build one in that same space thus getting MUCH better acoustics!

So whats a man to do to get some bump and not break the bank?
upgrade the door speakers or dash speakers. Read this http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf

Dont want to do that? good cause i wouldnt! im going this route (seat shaker)Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker 299-028
It is shocking how well these work especially in our tiny lil Boxsters!!!!

just some food for thought.... yummy
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Meat Head,

Did you end up getting the Kenwood? It's on my short list as well. As well as Crutchfield's own Sound Ordinance 8-ptd sub.

I did some cardboard mockups, and I think I can live with the 8-ptd in the passenger footwell.

Peter
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

I have the kicker 6.5" shallow mount subs in the doors and the small-size MTX TD-500.1 mono sub amp powering them and it is WONDERFUL!

I also replaced the stock amp with the MTX TD75.4 4x75 watt amp for the dash and added four 3.5" drivers into the rear shelf compartment. I got this amp combo because they both support 2 ohm loads on each channel, so I have the kicker subs run in parallel for a 2 ohm load on the 500.1 amp, and I have the rear speakers also wired in parallel so 2 of the 75.4 channels are running at 2 ohms, and the fronts in the dash are at 4 ohms.

The really great thing about the MTX amps is that I fit both of them on the stock amp's mounting panel, and it looks great. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #6

@ccstud17

I have the aura shakers in my home theater. Great product.

@polaris

I'll have to think about the 6.5" drivers in the doors for the future. Right now I've ordered the sound ordinance sub.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Cool

This is the sub I installed. LOVE IT!

More about the stereo install here: DIY 6.5 Inch Door Speakers Using OEM Baffles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #8

I have the Kenwood and it fit nowhere. I thought I could buy it and put in the compartment above the engine bay...way too big. then I tried behind the seat, nope. too fat for under the seat. too heavy to hang under where a normal glove box is. ended up sitting it under the floor in the foot well.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #9

I assume that your dash and door speakers are the originals? Here's a thought, I just replaced my dash speakers and the overall sound is greatly improved including the low-mid to bass. Not subwoofer territory of course, but tracks with good tight low bass, kick drums etc are now clear and tight. I am running the head unit (stock cd220) now with tone controls set to 0 and 'loudness' off. With the stock speakers I had to leave 'loudness' on and sometimes increase the bass tone control to have anything close to the bass response I have now. Try it for yourself. You might be better off starting with new dash and possibly door speakers.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #10

Garage
subwoofer

I just install a new stereo in my 2001 Boxster S. Kenwood head unit, Memphis door, dash and rear speaker, two 200W amps to run everything and a 10" Pioneer shallow mount sub in the passenger footwell. I only lost about 4-5 in. If you don't have a 6' passenger you'll be fine. I've tried it
plmh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Redmond's Boxster

Garage

Alpine type x and pdx1.600

Goes hard. Just need some 6x9's in the door. Tool me around 30
Mins to install. Battery is close, head unit not far off and surprisingly you can feel the bass a lot. Although it does rattle the front bonnet a bit to much for my liking
Redmond Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
FYI: A sub in the front trunk is kind of pointless since it is a sealed compartment, separate from the passenger compartment. I've seen one that had an air passage into the passenger compartment, but it seemed like a lot of work and overkill for the result.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #13

I would like to do this in my 1998, but I do not have the confidence to take on something like this, are there any UK owners who can give me some tips or advice on where to go and what to buy? I would like someone to install it for me, but the local ICE guys have packed up and moved on, so would like to hear any recommendations for the south east.
2014 Boxster S GT Silver, Black Full Leather, 20" Classic Carrera Alloys, Sports Seats, Sports Exhaust, Sports Steering Wheel, PASM. TPM, Bose Surround, Ambient Lighting Pack, Front and Rear Park Assist.
1998 Boxster 2.5 Artic Silver/Boxster Red.
MK_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
FYI: A sub in the front trunk is kind of pointless since it is a sealed compartment, separate from the passenger compartment. I've seen one that had an air passage into the passenger compartment, but it seemed like a lot of work and overkill for the result.
Yup, I put one in the frunk. I did feel a little base in the cabin but the hood vibrated like crazy and it sounded ridiculous outside. Thought about one of those Kenwood units but found it interesting that the poster above couldn't find a good place for it.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #15

I can recommend the Porsche door subs, you will probably find a used pair on eBay. Then fit some rear speakers if you don't have them already. Then fit a LOC from the front speakers to run an amplifier to run the subs in the doors. A decent amplifier can transform the door subs. The Porsche amp really does suck.