Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #41

Sorry coffinhunter, I just take an 8-10% failure rate (to which I have referred earlier) as not unusual. I suppose I would have been better to say 'not exceptionally rare' (for example, much less than 1%). Heck, I'll amend the post to say that.

Kris, why don't you get it up on a hoist a perform a basic inspection for yourself. Check it out after a test drive and look for oil leaks: IMS/RMS leaks, of course but also have them open the engine covers and inspect for play/bearing noise in the water pump and signs of leakage. Check for wetness from the coolant expansion tank both in the trunk and under the car. Check for signs of prior body damage/repairs. Check for oil leaks from the cam covers, spark plug tubes, variable valve-timing sensors, etc.

If all seems good at that point, assuming the dealer does servicing, perhaps offer to pay them for an oil/filter change so that you can, on the spot, inspect the oil filter and oil (take a hack saw and some gloves). If they don't agree to that ( a visual inspection by yourself after another drive and what would be a free oil change/filter for them if you decide not to buy), you have to wonder why.

The car may be - probably is a great car with no hidden defects. But oil/fluid leaks are not hard to find and an oi/filter inspection is pretty cheap insurance.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 04-17-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: sp
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #42

Oh and Kris - if he uses the excuse that their garage insurance won't cover you being in there, you can still crawl under the car (or get your arms under it) in the parking lot after a good test drive. Bring a dentist style mirror and some paper towels and check for leaks (but wait til it cools down)! You should also be able to inspect under the engine covers (from the service position for the top) and behind the seat. Heck, they should open those for you at your request just so you can ensure that the top and the latches are all fully functional!

Brad

southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster s