Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2005, 12:37 PM   #1

Question Still good?

Hi,

(for those of you who don't want to read the intro but still want to help me, please skip down to the sign.)

I am still young (20 years old), but have always been in love with Porsches (without obviously, never having the money to afford one).

I've always been interested in young guys with modified Integras because of the amount of work and money they put in their cars to make them fast rides...but that wasn't really what I was planning for myself...

So, when I got a decent job and money started flowing in regurlarly, I thought of buying a used Porsche.

So I took a look at smaller models (and more affordable ones) like the 944 and 928 (even the 912) first but never found one that I felt was the one I had to have...

Recently, I came across a Porsche Boxster 1998 for the selling price of 8 000$ Canadian (which is about 6 840$ US). The problem is that the car is wrecked from a previous accident. The whole rear end needs to be re-done and the left door panel moving up to the front wheel needs to be repaired...not mentionning that the rear left wheel is in bad shape.

You can actually see for yourselves with the pictures of the car I attached to this thread...

I know that it's in pretty bad shape but I was wondering if it would still be cheaper to restaure it than to buy a mint used one (I can't afford a new nor a mint used one)

My gut tells me I'm being ridiculous actually thinking I can restaure this car but I want a Porsche so much that I'm willing to try anything...

Any hope?

I would greatly appreciate any comments, advice, ideas for alternate models, etc...

Thank you for your replies (and I'm sooo sorry this post is this long!)

Glad to be a new member

FasCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:48 PM   #2

Great, the pictures dont appear....um...I will post the link later on if many of you would like to see the damages ...

My mistake...sorry
Old 11-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #3
bmussatti

I don't know. This sounds very-very expensive. Can you do the body work? Can you even test drive it??

You are very young, and sound like a focused, motivated and disciplined person. Maybe you would be better off investing the $8k Canadian and setting aside a set amount each month to be used towards this purchase in another 12-24 months.

What about operating cost? Especially insurance for someone your age??
Old 11-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
olly986

we can't see from your pictures!!!
but if the gear box which is at the back is also damage maybe even the engine could have a knock it is going to cost you too much to fix even if done yourself, maybe a nice 964 could be the answer to porsche ownership, you probably have special insurace for vintage cars too or low mileage usage?
anyway keep your dream alive YOU will get a porsche one day!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #5

Trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is almost always a losing proposition. The only way this deal could be anything but a massive disappointment is if you OWNED a body shop.
You already know the answer. Follow your gut.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #6

Thank you for the comments guys...so I guess I'm in over my head for the Boxster...considering the fact that I do not own a bodyshop nor do I plan on spending 25K to restore the car...

So back to the drawing board...

I guess if I want to buy a Porsche at my age, I have to consider older models...

But I'm afraid that the car won't be as reliable and that I'll have to spend a lot on it for repairs etc, etc...

What do you think? Is it a money pit to go for 944's, 928's, 964's, etc.??
Old 12-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #7

My mechanic says 944's are making him rich and the owners poor.

Porsches as daily drivers become fairly expensive rides. When they're a fun weekend car and they need repair, you just don't take them out of the garage until you have the cash saved up. But if you have to repair it to drive to work, it can become the worst buying decision you've ever made if you're broke.

I say save up and buy a real dependable boxster from someone who's babied it. If that takes a few years, sobeit. If you buy a beat up old one you'll put all difference in the price into it and still have an old beat up Porsche that runs. Sadly, that's what I did and now I'm faced with needing a paint job, etc. Ugh.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #8

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Or,

"I see dead people"

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #9

I'd say if you are looking for around 10K then go for a 968. I've seen some really good ones for sale lately(if your in the east coast). Say a 70K 1994 968 for around $13.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190405461&dealer_id=57006249&car_year=1994&search_type=both&make=POR&transmission=Manual&distance=0&model=968&address=46825&make2=sel_one&certified=&advanced=y&max_mileage=&max_price=13000&bkms=1131076236775&min_price=1&end_year=2006&color=&start_year=1987&drive=&isp=y&engine=&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=622
If you are going to spend 10 on a 944, your better off with a 968. its newer, has a 6 speed, and has simular hp and speed as a 986.
But if you are in the 5-10K range I would suggest a 944s2 or 944N/A, stay away from the turbos. They like to drink $$$$$$$$$$.

edit: a good 964 will still run you close to boxster money
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 AM   #10

Wow, the 968 is really nice!! But I still love turbo 944's..why do you say they like to drink money?...Insurance wise? Repair wise?...

I know a couple of people that have 944 turbo's and never had any serious problems with them...is it just luck?

I don't really like the non turbo front of 944 with the bumper guards...i dunno why...i'm just not really a big fan...so I wouldn't go for that car...

Are 968 expensive to maintain?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasCar
But I still love turbo 944's..why do you say they like to drink money?...Insurance wise? Repair wise?...
expensive to maintain
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to jiggysubman
Fascar, how much can you spend? I might be willing to sell you my 97 for less than you might think. There are a few things wrong, the biggest being a non-working top. But I am starting to look at upgrading anyways (maybe an 03 S).
I also can understand where you are coming from, I was 20 when I bought mine. I couldn't afford anything newer until now, (the navy is going to give me 40k to re-enlist). So if you would be interested, you can email me at jiggysubman@earthlink.net. I could send you some pics, and tell you all about it. I would set the price somewhere around 15-17k. I've put some work into it, including RMS job from dealer 10 months ago, new water pump, new serpintine belt and bearings, window regulator on drivers side, and a new crest on the hood.
Like I said, I can totally understand where you are coming from, because this was totally me 14 months ago. I wasn't planning on selling for another 6 months or so, and I plan on having the top fixed before than. So I could sell it to you sooner, but without the top fixed, or you could wait until i had it fixed (paying more of course). Email me if you'd like, we can talk more...
jiggysubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #13

The 924/944/968 cars are the Rodney Dangerfield of the Porsche world. They "... don't get no respect."
They suffer from maintenance and repair costs as high as the 911s, but very poor resale value. So every dollar you put into one is a dollar flushed down the toilet.
The worst of the bunch are the Turbos.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #14

Well Porsches are high maintenance right off the bat...but I have to agree that I would feel better owning a Boxster than a 944...

Hence, my neverending quest...

How about Boxster repairs? Are they expensive to maintain or do they keep going and going and going and going...without really needing to repair anything?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
So I took a look at smaller models (and more affordable ones) like the 944 and 928 (even the 912)
Hey now, what's up with the "smaller" models. I resemble that comment. The 928 was the most expensive Porsche of its' time (eq to about $120K in today's dollars).
Quote:
What do you think? Is it a money pit to go for 944's, 928's, 964's, etc.??
Here's my 2 cents on the older models. The 944 was the least expensive model available when they were new, so a lot of people who could just afford to "own a Porsche" could not afford to maintain it properly. The 928 has, on average, been maintained better because it was very expensive to start with, but they were usually neglected by their 3rd anad 4th owners since they didn't pay the new price for them. The 964 was between them sales price wise, but more rare so you have to take that into account when thinking about parts availability.

As a rule of thumb on the 928 forum, they recommend anybody looking at them to expect to pay about $5K (if you can DIY it) in addition to the purchase price to get them back into good condition. I'm sure it would be the same for the 944 or 964. The things that usually have to be done with an older model are timing belt, fuel lines, gaskets and basically everything rubber since it's over 10 years old.

If you can do a good bit of maintenance yourself, find a good model with records showing the maintenance was kept up and get a good PPI done it can be great. My neighbor recently bought a '84 928 for $3K and drove it home from New Jersey loving every minute of it. Mine was in great shape when I got it a year ago and has cost me a total of $14K after replacing the clutch, timing belt, fuel lines, leather re-dye and giving it a complete tune-up. Not bad for the only V8 Porsche (car) out there.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #16

Quote:
How about Boxster repairs? Are they expensive to maintain or do they keep going and going and going and going...without really needing to repair anything?
If you want an "energizer bunny car", you should buy a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #17

Now if would want a Accord, I'd probably be on a Honda forum wouldn't I?

Is it a bad thing to be cautious and curious before buying a car? I actually just wanted to know if Boxsters are known to have common problems...you know...issues that almost every owner has to deal with? hopefully not but I don't know myself...that's why I'm asking...

Tkx for the info Delirious...I actually dont think 928s are "smaller"...but just more affordable nowadays...beautiful cars...I wish I could find one in good shape...
Old 12-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #18

You're doing your homework and that's smart! I was just kidding you a little

Common maintenance/repairs on boxsters:

RMS leaks (nothing you can do but inspect it and watch for drips).

Top problems with the original non-reinforced cables in the transmission. Not too expensive if you replace the cables right away, big bucks if you don't and it twists up your clamshell and top.

Plastic rear window can crack if raised/lowered when it's cold ($$$).

Coolant tank resovoir cracks with age and should be replaced if the car is 6 years old or older as a preventative maintenance item ($$$).

Car eats tires. No way around it with the camber and the hard driving you will do ($$$).

MAF sensors and O2 sensors can go out on older ones and they're not cheap ($$$).

Horn pressure plate (behind airbag) on the 4 spoke wheels wear out prematurely ($$).

Hinge on center console cover is crap. It will break and should be replaced with the new all-metal version ($).

Anyone want to add to this list?

Read the links in my signature line for other stuff to look for when buying a used boxster. I learned the hard way so it's experience talking.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 12-05-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Anyone want to add to this list?
It's a Porsche $$$$$$$$$
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 PM   #20

Wow...thats actually a lot of help Randall...(oh and I was only kidding myself...)

Big bucks to invest...and the fact that it's a Porsche doesn't help...

Your links are also very helpful...

for the tires I heard they go to about 12k rear and 20k in front...am I right? and as for the rear window...is it possible to get a glass window or does the plastic one fold when it the top is down?

basically...were talking about a 10k deal easily here....plus the cost of the car which is around 17-18k for a used one right? thats a lot of money...