Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2005, 05:59 AM   #1

New 18's, what size tires

I am about to put a set of 18's on my boxster, 18x8.5 front and 18x10 rear. What size tires for the front and what size tires for the rear? Any help would be wonderful.

JK

kingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
bmussatti

These will fit:

Front- 235/40/18 or 245/35/18
Rear- 255/40/18 or 265/35/18

Call Tire Rack or go to thier web site for more info.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:33 AM   #3

You're gonna need spacers on the back. Do you have these yet? You may also have to put a zip tie on your brake lines to keep them from rubbing. Stock 18's on a boxster are 9 inches, so these two things fix that extra inch in width.

Very aggressive look though. I love it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsilver
I am about to put a set of 18's on my boxster, 18x8.5 front and 18x10 rear. What size tires for the front and what size tires for the rear? Any help would be wonderful.

JK

I have the same exact set up, 18X8.5 Fronts and 18X10 Rears. They fit just fine, no spacers or anything needed on mine. The only thing that i did do was buy these $.79 clips from the dealer that hold the ebrake cable away from the wheels in the rears. Your local dealer will put them on in about 2minutes. I didnt needed them but they said it was be safer so i just did it anyway. Let me know if you want them and i can get your the part number for the clips.

As far as tire size I run 225/40/18 in the front and 265/35/18 in the rears. Those are stock sizes for Boxster with 18s. I have been told by Wheel Enchancements in Culver City that a narrow 285/40/18 will fit as well with no problems but have not tried it out yet, maybe on my next set.

**Pictures are attached**
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:35 PM   #5

18's

Thank you for the info, the rims are in transit, So I do not have them yet. One f you says "you will need a spacer", one says you will not. How do I know if I need them or not, and if so where do I get them, also can I have the part # for the clips please.

JK
Old 11-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for the info, the rims are in transit, So I do not have them yet. One f you says "you will need a spacer", one says you will not. How do I know if I need them or not, and if so where do I get them, also can I have the part # for the clips please.

JK

The part number for the clips is 999.651.230.02. Your can pick them up from your local dealer. I don’t remember however if they have them in stock or if they are special orders. They are $.79 or so depending on the dealer.

In regards to the spacers being needed, it really depends on the wheel offsets. In most cases they are not needed and the wheels can just be bolted on. In other cases a slight adjustment to the camber of the rear wheels can achieve the needed clearance. EVERYTHING depends on the offset of the wheels. Push come to shove you can always use spacers

What kind of wheels are they? Also what wheels did u have on before? Stock 17s?

~James~
Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 AM   #7

Okay, got the wheels, seems there is a small clearance issue, barely touches the shock. How do you go about adjusting the camber? Is this something I can do? I have order 10mm spacers from Porsche but if I can fix it without them I am up for saving 300+ dollars. Yalls input is much appreciated.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Okay, got the wheels, seems there is a small clearance issue, barely touches the shock. How do you go about adjusting the camber? Is this something I can do? I have order 10mm spacers from Porsche but if I can fix it without them I am up for saving 300+ dollars. Yalls input is much appreciated.

$300?!?!?! for spacers? I honestly dont know much about spacers nor their pricing but that seems a bit much... An alignment shop would be able to take care of the camber for you.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 AM   #9

yea, tell me about it, 300 for a set 5 of 5mm spacer and longer bolts. I might try the camber adjustment first.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:24 PM   #10

Quote:
yea, tell me about it, 300 for a set 5 of 5mm spacer and longer bolts. I might try the camber adjustment first.
Might want to ask some of the other guys on the forum for info on spacers i dont think its necesarry to go with the porsche spacers. Any set of 5mm spacers should do the job...If possible post a picture of the set you are getting. What makes them different then anyother set of spacers?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:44 AM   #11

Okay, got a the wheels to fit, it took a 10mm spacer for each wheel. They look great and run great, here is the new issue, at 70mph there is a bad vibration that I have never had. Anyone know why this would happen and how to fix it?
Old 11-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #12

You've probably got a tire out of round or simply need a better job of balancing your wheels.

Find a place that offers a "road force balance" for your tires and you should be able to eliminate that vibration. This is different from the normal type of balancing because it puts pressure on the tire to simulate it being on the car.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:12 AM   #13

Randall, is there a place in Houston the offers a "road force balance", how much is it? I may want to get this done.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #14

I got mine done at the Discount Tire on 290. Some stores have it and some don't. Call around.

I do know that eurocarwerks has all the right equipment to balance and align your boxster for 100+ mph speeds. I just haven't gone over there because it's in SW Houston and you will probably have to give them your car for a day or two... they ain't a fast turnaround shop, and they ain't cheap!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #15

Okay, got the tires re-balanced, still a vibration. Come to find out the spacer I had was causing the issue, the spacers I have are universal. Anyone else ever have problems with spacers? Have new set of Porsche specific spacers coming in today. If they work I will post the pics.